Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need grilled pork for a jambalaya cookoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need grilled pork for a jambalaya cookoff

Y'all, this is my first post on your site, so I hope I follow etiquette here. I searched but couldn't find an answer to my question.

I'm entering a jambalaya cook-off tomorrow, but my role is really to serve as the coach of teenage cooks. A local church (Central Louisiana) is hosting the cook-off as part of their fall festival, and they've recruited folks to serve as coaches to their participating teenagers.

Anyway, my usual method is to smoke ribs (following the Last Meal Ribs Recipe on this site) to de-bone & put in my jambalaya. I think it's the perfect & fairly-uncommon addition to jambalaya, and I've received high marks at other cook-offs with it. Well, the rules & regs of the cook off define our timeline to be very short (3 hours total) in the contest tomorrow, so I won't have time to follow the recipe and procedure properly.

So, I'm looking for a grilled/smoked pork alternative to the Last Meal Ribs Recipe. I need a cut of pork that I can grill in 2 hours, but I'd rather not use pork chop steaks (although that may be my only option). I want to still use the Meathead's Memphis Dust on the pork. I've considered the boneless pork ribs (my local Sam's sells them), but I'm afraid I still can't get them cooked properly in 2 hours.

I know I'm expecting a lot here, but does anyone have a suggestion on what cut of pork I can cook in 2 hours? I'll need 2 pounds of uncooked meat for this.

Thanks a bunch!

Hey Ratchette, Welcome,

IMO you can cook the boneless ribs in two hours without an issue. You just need to crank up the heat. Then do some chopping. I really don't see an issue as your grilling not smoking these. You can always butterfly them as well and reduce your cook time even more.

Heck, they pull off a full entree in 30 mins on Chopped.

Comment

Ah, thanks Jon. I didn't think about butterflying them to reduce cook time. Great idea - thanks!

Comment

I agree, and even if they get a little dry or not quite tender, they are going into a moist environment so should be ok. Butterfly is a good option, but I would think flattening then a bit with a hammer or pan between sheets of wax paper would get good results, its easy, thinner, even thickness, and breaks apart the fibers to make it a little more tender.

Comment

Thanks John - I've thought the same about addressing the possible lack of moistness & tenderness. There'll be plenty of juices in the pot to address that.

Comment

How about steaming them for a while prior to smoke/grilling? It should help get to the tender stage quicker without them getting dry yet still add the taste of the rub & smoke to the end product.

Comment

Well we went with the butterflying route. The kids I coached were brothers (12 & 14), and they did most of the butterflying after I showed them how. They came out a little dry since we cooked them hotter and faster, but that was ok since we put them in the jambalaya. The Meathead's Memphis Dust gave the jambalaya a great color, and of course great flavor too. Thanks for y'all's help.

Comment

Great, as long as the food was good and they had fun that's all you need!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here