Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why "meteor" bark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why "meteor" bark?

Since I've become "backyard serious" about my smoking I have always used MMD rub on my pork roasts, and with that rub I've never had one take on the meteor-like dark bark that others have. What is the difference? What rub ingredients cause that thick, crunchy bark that aren't in MMD? I love MMD, but I'd like to step up the bark results I've been getting, so fire away with the tips!

Are we talking about pork shoulder? What smoker are you using? How long are you smoking the "roast". I think we need a few more details to be able to help you..

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep... MMD on a pork butt cooked at 225° for 14 hours ought to look like a big black meteorite.😜

I think it has to do with the amount of sugar involved in your rub, the heat (temp) of the pit, and how much airflow your cooker has. Interested to hear what others say.

Comment

• JPGators17
      JPGators17 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking sugar is the key too, but if others are getting it with MMD, I must be off on something.

Pork butt/shoulder, picnic, etc. All kinds, big, small, bone-in, boneless. I"ve smoked them at 225 and 250. Mine turn out more of a deep dark red, not meteor dark, and the bark is not thick and crunchy.

Comment

• JPGators17
      JPGators17 commented
      Editing a comment
      Various smokers. Weber kettle, PBC, pellet, smoke vault (gas).

• choffert
      choffert commented
      Editing a comment
      Charcoal will get more black, while the gas not so much. Not sure about pellets or wood, but guess would be more like charcoal...

• vandy
      vandy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have done many on my pellet smokers and they always look like a meteorite when finished cooking. This is using MMD with Turbinado sugar instead of regular sugar.

I think I'm very liberal in my rub application. I've added as much as will stick to it and not fall off, and that's with applying olive oil or mustard coat first.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
      Steve Vojtek commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm liberal with the rub as well as much as I can get on but I wet the meat with water only. Not sure if that makes a difference. Its strange I use a pellet smoker or kettle SNS combo. You got me scratching my head.. I hope someone else can help...

Smoked in my large BGE at 225° for about 14 hours...👍
    Attached Files

Comment

• JPGators17
      JPGators17 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine are kind of similar, but much more of that dark red coloration than black.

I think it depends on the cooker and the rub. I get different results from different cookers, an haveta alter accordingly...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 27, 2017, 05:20 PM.

Comment

It's all about surface evaporation. The number one thing you can do is, not wrap.
      I get much better bark on my KBQ, the convention fan really help to build that bark!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2068.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	295042Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2062.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	295043

Comment

@JPGators I will differ to Dave for advise on the SNS.

However, for the PBC I might be able to help. What temp do you you usually run on the PBC?
      Most of them run at about 275 - 290 F. It is important that you put the meat on the PBC while cold. I even put mine in the freezer while I get everything ready to go. This will help the meat suck up the smoke but it also gives the meat more time in the fire because your starting with a colder piece of meat. Try to go an entire cook on the PBC with out wrapping at all. On mine, by about 185 F I have enough bark built up and I can go to the wrap. You can see the hook mark in the bark!! I also think that rubs make a difference. Check out the one below. I used Oak Ridge BBQ, Black Ops. It even says on the package, "Build Serious Bark!"
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_31549.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	295068

Comment

• JPGators17
        JPGators17 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's beautiful man. I have a BBQ guru on my pbc, so I cook at 225 - 250. I'm thinking that a different rub may have those results too. I'll definitely try the freezer trick, makes sense to me.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        let me know how it goes. I wanna get this figured out! You should be killing the bark! JPGators17

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Great pork there, Brother!
        Love yer new avatar as well!!!

As Meathead has shown spices dissolve better in water that oil so I stopped using oil and now just water even if I have to slightly wet the meat to get plenty of rub on it. Once I started doing that my bark has just kept improving.

A while back there there was a thread about mustard vs no mustard with side by side comparisons and since then I have stopped using mustard as well without losing bark as I saw you mention using it.

For a long time I had trouble also getting it to look like a meteorite and finally just put as much rub on as it would hold, let it set for just a tad, and then redusted it slightly and immediately into the cooker at as cold of a meat temp as possible. Since doing that I have been quite happy with my bark.

Comment

• JPGators17
        JPGators17 commented
        Editing a comment
        So water is enough by itself for the rub to adhere well to the meat?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I am with you. I never use mustard. I just rinse the butts, dab them dry and then apply the rub. When the salt is applied (in the rub) it pulls moisture to the surface. This is plenty of moisture to get the rub to stick. JPGators17 lschweig

JPGators, can you tell a little more about cooking on your PBC at 225 with the Guru? I use the Guru on my XL BGE and get fantastic results. I also have a PBC and sometimes have difficulty maintaining consistent temps. I did a taste test recently. I cooked 3 racks of ribs in my BGE and 3 racks in my PBC. Used Meathead's last meal ribs recipe and technique. Main differences were time, temp and fuel. Cooked at 225 for about 6 hours on BGE using lump and about 3 hours on PBC around 275-300 using KBB. My friends said both were great, but all liked BGE ribs a little better. I think they there were a little more tender and a little better bark. Not sure if it was due to more time at lower temp. I'm wondering if I can get similar results on my PBC cooking at 225 if I can maintain the temp with the Guru. Thanks

Comment

• Jeff_Carley
        Jeff_Carley commented
        Editing a comment
        JPGators17, I too have a PBC and have been toying with the idea of heat control. Do you notice any ash being blown around. Would you buy your device again for the PBC or no?

• JPGators17
        JPGators17 commented
        Editing a comment
        Jeff_Carley I have not noticed any ash being blown around. The guru was already with my pbc when I got it on CL, so I have never used it without it. I probably wouldn't have bought the pbc alone bc I require temp control.

• Jeff_Carley
        Jeff_Carley commented
        Editing a comment
        not bad. great find for you, for sure. I did some digging and am thinking about pulling the trigger this summer on the guru

Thoughts:
      1- MMD is 50% sugar per recipe. It should form sufficient bark. I get nice bark with MMD on my Weber Genesis.
      2- I think the airflow idea is spot on. While the Genesis has various limitations, it has a TON of airflow due to the venting associated with gas. Not familiar with the PBC with the Guru, but I wonder how much your fan is working to keep it in the 225-250 range? I think the PBC likes to run hotter naturally, which it's fans say works great.
      3- I'd nix the mustard. It's basically spiced and thickened oil. It doesn't work for flavor diffusion as well as water and it doesn't evaporate the same way. I know it works okay, but water works better.
      Attached Files

Comment

Airflow, airflow, airflow... I agree airflow is an important element in cooking.

The reason that brick ovens are considered to be the best ovens for bread and pizza baking is...
        1. The bricks once preheated are a great source of radiant heat.
        2. The large air intake opening allows an abundant amount of airflow.
        3. The large exhaust vent up Top for the circulating air to escape.
        4. The shape of the dome that guides the circulation of the airflow which is convection heat.
        Kamado cookers are the only outdoor oven that can duplicate that process. That's why they all have a bottom vent, top vent and their domes are all circular shaped. Your new air enters in the bottom vent and climbs up the back wall of your shell and bounces upward, then it's guided downward toward your food and then goes up to escape out of the top vent. Once you Preheat the ceramics and open the vents to achieve 500° to 900° cooking temperature your cooker is operating just like a brick oven, and that is why baking pizza and bread on a Kamado cooker is better than using your kitchen oven... airflow, airflow, airflow!
        Last edited by Breadhead; April 11, 2017, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I contacted BBQ Guru and they suggested the XL dome adaptor. They said they have a PBC in their showroom with a Guru installed. Instructions are to slightly bend the dome adaptor by hand to match the curvature of the barrel and drill a hole to line up with the screw to the bottom vent hole. Insert the adaptor from inside the barrel where the bottom vent hole is located. Using the same screw for the PBC vent cover they tightened the adaptor so that it pulls up snug against the inside of the barrel. I bought the adaptor to give it a try. Will report back after the first cook.

Comment

• JPGators17
            JPGators17 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's how mine was installed, except it is on the outside. It doesn't leak at all.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here