Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry brining pork ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry brining pork ribs

Should pork ribs be dry brined only hours prior to smoking or is it ok to go ahead and dry brine them a day prior? I read somewhere that dry brining pork a full day in advance can cause it to take on a "cured ham taste". Thank you

With dry brining you should be fine doing it a day ahead.

Comment

Agree with EdF dry brining a day in advance is fine and won't give you a "cured ham taste".

A hearty welcome to the pit from northern Illinois.
      Last edited by lschweig; March 26, 2017, 08:03 PM. Reason: Did not spot that it was his first post.

Comment

Welcome jpmiller888

Comment

great question I was wondering the same thing myself.

Comment

I usually just dry brined overnight prior to smoking them

Comment

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on what DW said

• PappyBBQ
              PappyBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup.

Welcome from Indiana.

Comment

A day ahead is fine. Just don't salt any heavier than you would at the table, make sure the ribs are not already injected with a salt solution, and be careful to use a rub with no salt in it.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

I always try to brine them the night before. If you do it right before the cook, its okay, but try for overnight.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                    Danjohnston949 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spinaker, Did I Miss Something❓❓ Did You Get a Promotion❓❓ 👍👍 If So Congratulations 👍👍 Does This Mean ❓
                    ❓ I Have to Give You More Deference Now❓❓ "MR MODERATOR". I am Confused ❓❓ 👍 🤗😇🤗 👍
                    From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Thank you all for replying and "welcomes"

Comment

Welcome jpmiller888! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

saw this post yesterday just about 3 hr before I was doing a rack of bb and st Louis. so what the heck I got out Noah's ap rub and let it soak in for 3 hr. Ribs came out tender and juicy but way to salty for me and the wife. I usually put on the ap about 20 min. before it go in the pit barrel and it's ok. next time I will cut back on the ap by a 1/4.

Comment

Planner47 all of the PBC rubs are quite salty and it is real easy to overdo it when using them.

Comment

• Planner47
                          Planner47 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          indeed

So here's something you might try. Do the dry brine as above, then about a half hour to an hour before you put them on, rub with some crushed garlic and splash them with some good wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar. It's supposedly "pork chops Lyonnaise", but it's very fine whatever it's called!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here