Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need some help with my ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need some help with my ribs

so I tried pork ribs st Louis cut. using the last meal rib recipe, they tasted fine but were a little on the well lets just say they did not fall off the bone. I cooked them in my PK 360 and my weber kettle with a slow and sear the temp on both of them was between 220 and 245 for 4 hours ( it rained and dropped my grill temp) but not for long only 20 min or so. I did the bend test and they cracked a little ,then I temped them and pulled them at 165 to finish on my hot grill. I had a water in the slow and sear and in a tray on the PK. funny part is when I was eating them I got a clean bone from each rib but my wife and daughter left meat on the bones and complained that it were to chewy. any advise would be much appreciated.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	293759

Sounds like they were undercooked. 4 hours is a little on the short side and the bend test should be more than a slight crack. Hard to temp ribs but 165 would be low.

Comment

I think Nate is right, may have been a little under done. For my guest that want "Fall of the Bone" I wrap in foil in the middle of the cook with a little liquid for 45min or so.

Comment

+1 on what Nate said

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          +2 on what Nate 4 hrs is really short,time wise,for ribs at that temp.

I agree. My spares usually cook for about 5 hours.

Comment

Cooking to any temp is problematic. Every hunk o' meat is different, so you need to cook until it's done. The bend test works, but is a bit subjective. A probe going in like a knife in soft butter will get you "fall off the bone". A rib bone that twists easily will also mean the same thing. Pulling a bit before either of these points should get you to tender, but not fall off the bone. It does take a bit of practice to be able to get the results you want every time.

Comment

As others have stated, tough ribs are undercooked ribs most likely. Try the bend test and also observe whether the meat pulls back from the ends of the rib bones.

Comment

Definitely agree with the undercooked assessments, but also agree with SMOG MAN about foiling with some liquid (like squeeze butter or apple juice). Another option could be foiling/wrapping and holding in a cambro after pulling the ribs off the cooker. Just be careful with foiling/wrapping on the cooker because overcooking can happen pretty quickly.

Comment

At that cooking temperature they would take me about 6 hours. Spinaker Put me on to cooking them at 275 which will get St Louis done in about 5 hours.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Best temp for STLS.

The good part is I get to try again and again and again. While the did not melt off the bone they were tasty at least.

Comment

Keep practicing! I like mine a little over cooked vs. under.

Comment

If you have a Thermapen, you can get a pretty accurate temp on the rib meat. Probe right in the middle of the meat, as far from the bones as possible. I like mine at about 185 to 190 F. Bones can effect the reading, so only use the very tip of the Thermapen. Once you get used to what the ribs looks like at you desired temp then you won't have to take readings any more.

Comment

I do 3-2-1 method @ 225 F for spares and St. Louis. They always come out great. Not quite falling off the bone.

Comment

• JCGrill
                        JCGrill commented
                        Editing a comment
                        +1 on 3-2-1. Absolutely my favorite way to go. Some like to put a little apple juice in the foil, but I like to use apple cider vinegar. Gives a little bit of that Carolina sauce flavor.

I use about he same as Jim H smoke them for 3 hrs. @ 225 and wrap them for 2 hrs. after basting with BBQ sauce or apple juice.

Comment

As a visual test, you should see more bone exposed at the ends and if you pull on the short ones, they should come out with an easy pull. Internal temps aren't always a good representation of whether the sinew has broken down. Too much longer than that point and you'll have trouble pulling them off the grill in one piece. The finish in the foil (crutch) helps but will soften any crust you've developed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here