Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston butt in a cast iron Dutch oven.....madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston butt in a cast iron Dutch oven.....madness

Saw a recipe online for this, very simple. Kept reading how easy and the results are great..... so I decided to give it a try myself.

I trummed a little of the fat cap and then a good sear on all sides. Add a couple onions cut in half, garlic to taste (I used just around a boatload ) and some water or I used chicken broth. That's it. Nothing else.

What most reviewers absolutely went nuts over was the pork gravy that was waiting for you. Sure enough the pork was absolutely moist and tender throughout. Not just the bomb money muscle. The gravy was insane and plenty of it. How did that happen from such "bland" ingredients remains a mystery. Don't really care, it was delicious and super easy. Toughest part was flipping the meat around for a sear.

I had an 8.5 lb bone in Boston butt
    350, 3hours.

Mashed on the side, this one will be repeated many times.

Man did you get my attention at insane gravy. Got to try it. Gracias!

Comment

Sounds awesome!

Comment

No pics - it didn't happen...

Comment

Yes, we'd love to see some pics!

Comment

I grew up eating rice and gravy with every piece of meat imaginable; pig stomach, pig shoulder, pig sausage.....love me some REAL gravy that requires meat to make.

Comment

I know about the pics. If I was home I would have pic' fit up.

The pics kf rhis pork/gravy awesomeness would have looked very "beige". Trust me, not much to look at.

One of of those bakery dept foil loaves of garlic bread was on the table.

Garlic bread base, mashed potatoes on that, pork in the mashed, top w gravy, eat open face or pick it up and shovel it home.

Comment

Yep, going to have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Lookin forward to tryin' this. Just won a pre-1934 (Favorite Piqua Ware) #8 Dutch Oven an' lid from ePay!
                Got plenty o' pork butts in th' freezer.
                Sounds like a Hot Date!
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 31, 2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Sounds similar to a technique I like where you smoke a butt and finish it in the oven on a rack over a double batch of MH's Lexington Dip. The smokey pork drippings mix with the dip to produce an outrageous sauce that solidifies in the fridge due to gelatin. Make sure you skim off most of the fat though, there is a lot.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here