Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Babyback vs St Louis: help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babyback vs St Louis: help needed

OK, the family is coming in and the prime brisket and sausage are bought. I always cooks St Louis style ribs but for some reason (could it have been the sale?) I picked up babybacks instead.

Other than not cooking them so long is there anything else I should know/do?

I remove the membrane, salt over night, cover w MMR just before they go on at 225F and cook till they crack when picked up w tongs. Then sauce with a mixture of my variation on KC sauce mixed with some raspberry jam and flame caramelize with a large roofer's torch (learned that at Bogart's in St Louis).

Anything diff for the bitty ones?

Thanks

FYI they might not crack depending on how thick the loin meat is

Comment

As DeusDingo said they may not crack. Try the toothpick method to check doneness. When the unused toothpick slides in like with room temperature butter they are ready.

Comment

Plan on less cook time too. I prefer these to spares, but the window between done and overdone is very small.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey CandySueQ just curious how you test for doneness on your BBRs??

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Toothpick! Just like lschweig said.

I will make sure not to overcook... I assume overcook means meat slipping off the bones like in STL?

Comment

• W.A.
          W.A. commented
          Editing a comment
          They can dry out too

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
        FYI they might not crack depending on how thick the loin meat is
        BINGO!!!!! Raised to the umpteenth power!

​​​​​​Aggravating cook this past weekend. I hadn't cooked back ribs in so long....and these weren't that thick. ZERO crack and pull off the bone tender.

Comment

I like to trim off excess fat. Otherwise you plan sounds good. If you are going to crutch them cut back the crutch time.

Comment

Figure an hour less than the spares.

Comment

As LA Pork Butt said Make sure you trim off the fat. Especially at the thicker ends of the ribs.
              Try to avoid wrapping them. When I used to wrap, I found that they didn't stand up as well in the wrap as St. Louis style ribs. The meat is more delicate, in my experience. (I don't wrap my ribs anymore, at all)
              Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here