Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is "too soon" to put MD rub on Ribs? 28 hours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is "too soon" to put MD rub on Ribs? 28 hours?

Ok, this is all ya'lls fault! My BBQ hobby is now a full blown volunteer enterprise, lol.

I gave away a Gift Certificate for "Ribs for 50 People - Awesome Ribs, that is!" for a local charity that I serve at for a recent E-Gala Auction. The Ribs Party went for $500, which is great for the organization, www.FYCA.org!

The buyer is actually using the Ribs for 50 to sell at ANOTHER fundraiser for her kids school. So, I'll be cooking about 15-20 racks of ribs and bringing them to the Fall Festival Fundraiser for 10 AM Saturday morning, so I'll be putting them on the Smoker about 1-2 am on Saturday Morning.

Which brings me to my question: I'm wondering when can I put the Memphis Dust on the Ribs? (St. Louis Cut) Tomorrow night is Halloween, and we've got fun stuff we are doing until 9-10 pm, so I can't put the rub on my normal 6-8 hours before.
    Can I do the rib prep and rub tonight, and put the rib's smoking later tomorrow night (early Saturday Morning)?

Or, is that too long for the Salt to get in there and work? I don't remember Meathead covering this scenario on the Salt Video.

Can't wait for your feedback.

This Rib cooking is fun! (and work)

Sounds good to me. I have let stuff sit almost 2 days in the fridge after getting prepped.

Comment

You'll be fine whether it's 1 hr or 48!

Comment

I may have misunderstood, but i'll try to cover either way. Memphis Dust doesn't have any salt, it relies on you dry brining. That isn't too much time for dry brining in my opinion and experience. I find that using MD too early causes a lot of it to liquify and run/scrape off, so I put on the MD right before cooking. Nothing in the MD needs to be on there for longer, so if you salt tonight and MD as you put on the smoker you should be good.

Comment

Jon, I make the Memohis Dust including salt for ribs, and just let the salt from the MD recipe work it's way into the thinner rib meat. I suppose I will have to keep a portion of MD sans salt for when it's time to do a pork butt and dy bring that bad boy a day or so before. It's going to be fun! Ps I'm going to start keeping one of those insulated shopping bags in my trick so I can buy more meat in the hours or two on my way home. I have bought meat and gotten delayed on the drive home, and bought a bag of ice and made a makeshift cooler in my truck. #bbqobsession

Comment

John brings up a great point, it's only the salt that matters timewise. If however you're using salted MD, and you get a lot of runoff and liquification, shake a tad more on as you put them on the smoker. I use a salted vs of my rub and that's what I've done before....lately though I give it 1-2 hrs and call it good. I don't notice the difference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here