Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib rant and cook.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib rant and cook.

The grocery we have been using closed last month. They carried baby backs, spares, and St Louis. None of them were injected. I went to the other three area stores plus Walmart. None of them carried any uninjected ribs, and only one had St Louis. Some were injected with up to 8% solution that contained salt. I did fine SL at one store that had only 3% injection, so I bought a rack. I was afraid to brine them because of the injection, so I just added some MMD and threw them in the kettle, (+ SnS).

I couldn't get them on until 1 PM, so I smoked them at 275* F. Just for kicks I put a Thermoworks needle probe between two bones and it seemed to work. The ribs were up to 205* when I sauced them. I took the probe out then and forgot to put it back, but the ribs cooked for about 20 min more to set the Sweet Baby Ray's. One end was thicker than the other so the thicker end wound up "bite through" and the other end was "pull off the bone". My wife prefers pull off the bone, so that worked out well. The side was twice baked potatoes.

Two hours in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I1354.jpg Views:	1 Size:	671.3 KB ID:	284806

Just before pulling off the grill.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I1356.jpg Views:	1 Size:	541.9 KB ID:	284805

Plated with potato

Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I1368.jpg Views:	1 Size:	379.8 KB ID:	284803

An acceptable smoke ring.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I1369.jpg Views:	1 Size:	384.6 KB ID:	284804
    Last edited by RonB; March 5, 2017, 06:35 PM.

Looks and sounds great!!!

Comment

Looks very good to me! That was a fine meal I am sure.

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate to buy injected ribs, as long as you're conscious of oversalting which it appears you definitely are. How'd it turn out skipping the salt?

Beautiful photos!

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee - Thanx! the ribs needed salt and that's the problem with injected ribs - ya just never know how much salt to add. I've had some that were too salty out of the package and some that needed salt.

Nice job!!!!

Comment

Great lookin' ribs!!!!

Comment

Good looking cook. I'm sorry your "go-to" store closed. I lived outside of Stockton in a small town years ago. My go-to store closed but opened up with the same name in a new location. It had a much better butcher dept. Expensive, but well worth it. Hopefully you will find the same luck.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              tbob4 - the store will be replaced by a Publix. They are moving into the area, but they say it will take 6 - 12 months to remodel each store.

I pretty much ignore injection solutions when it comes to pork. Never reduced my salt and never had something too salty. Same goes for turkey.

Great looking ribs!!

Comment

Beautiful!!

Comment

Thanx all for lookin' and commentin'.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here