Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird temp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird temp question

So I have my shoulder on the my electric smoker and this morning it showed IT 192. I opened it up to take a look and stuck my thermapen in and noticed that the center(192) was actually hotter than towards to outer(187). This is a boneless shoulder netted. I found it weird that the temp dropped as I moved from the center.
    Last edited by rmeugene; March 4, 2017, 09:20 AM.

This is unusual. What is the temp towards the outside of the meat on the grate side? I wonder if its heating faster on the bottom and that heat hasn't made it way to the top of the meat yet. Although the warm cooking chamber, should elevate this. Not totally sure whats going on here.

*Also,just a thought, 187 F and 192 F aren't really that different in the grand scheme of things. Once wrapped, that will even out in a hurry.

Comment

It is relatively the same all around. Appears to be warmer towards the center.
      I should also mention it is boneless. Just weird...I know a temp diff of 5deg isn't that a big a deal. I was more intrigued by the fact it was warmer in the center???? It has been on since 7pm last night so I am at around 15.5 hours at this point. We are not eating until 5ish and I have the faux cambo waiting with hot water in it.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a @Dr. Blonder question. My guess is that over a long cook the moisture has made its way out of the center and once you cambro it you will find that the temps equalize again. Just a guess.

Gaps between the muscles maybe?

Comment

Or the fat layer inside is hotter than the meat?

Comment

Evaporative cooling on outside of meat maybe???

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here