Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled pork

I used my new Char Grill Akron Kamado yesterday to make pulled pork and I did a much better job of controlling the temperature this time. I ran some experiments without food after I received my Maverick temperature probe and I learned a lot. It was cold here yesterday -7C when I started and it was below freezing all day and windy as well. I used four pieces of hickory wood for smoke and it seems just about right. The roast weighed four pounds and it took a lot longer than I thought but I has some issues yesterday of my temperature dropping on me and I should have added more charcoal at the start. In total it took over 10 hours to get to 203F. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0250.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	283940

Nice job

Comment

Looks delicious!

Comment

Love the coloring of that little baby.

Comment

Very nice. Great bark.

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Looks great. I agree with Steve B , great color!!!

I would recommend you pick up a KICK ASH BASKET. They do a great job of keeping those air inlets open. I had the same problem with my KEG (Also a steel insulated rig) I took out the cast iron grate at the bottom of the KEG and replaced it with the Kick Ash Basket. I haven't had my fire fire die once, since I got it. And it makes cleaning up a breeze. Just take the basket out and shake all the ash out, then light the fire again.
              Also, Make sure you totally fill your fire box with lump. According to my manufacturer, you only need a bout a fist size of Lump every cook. This is a preposterous statement to get people to buy their cookers. Just fill the whole fire box, you wont use all of the fuel, but you will be happy its in there so you don't have to take everything out, then add more fuel. What ever full is left over, you can use for your next cook after you shake the ash!

Kick Ash Basket has grill accessories & charcoal baskets for easy, tasty grilling. Shop our site for grilling essentials like coal ash cans, dividers, & more!

Comment

A great lookin' hunk of pork. Just remember, temp is just an indicator - you want to pull it when it's probe tender.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Argoboy, Great Looking Pork Butt! Just One Question? Where in the H--L was My Invite?
                    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Kick Ash Basket I looked at the link and I thought it was a good idea but I think they are kind of expensive for what you get? There was You Tube video where someone used a SS wire basket strainer to hold charcoal. The trick is the find one the correct size.

Comment

I don't know what the fire grate looks like on the Akorn, but could you drill ,more holes in to to improve air flow?

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                          LA Pork Butt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ZombieZZR and Spinaker would setting something like a fire grate from a Weber Smoker Joe on top of the Akorn grate help?

• Spinaker
                          Spinaker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes but take the stock grate out. You want as much free flowing air as possible.

• ZombieZZR
                          ZombieZZR commented
                          Editing a comment
                          LA Pork Butt I think the two grates are virtually the same. I think the rod for the Akorn grate may be thicker, but the believe the spacing is a little wider also. I will have to remember to compare the two the next time I am using the Akorn.

Nice job...looks great. I am glad you had a better cook this time. I think it takes a little time and practice to get used to the Akorn. I agree with Spinaker about keeping your firebox full with lump. It is not like you are wasting it. As soon as the cook is over, close both vents and the fire will smother out. Next cook, move the remaining lump around a little to drop the ash through the fire grate into the ash pan, then add a little more lump. IRT to a basket, I have never experienced an issue with my Akorn (or Primo for that matter) having ventilation issues. For longs cooks, after I get an established fire started, I will move the lump around on side of the fire to make a clear hole down to the grate. So you may want to play with that setup a couple of times before buying an basket.

Comment

Got a pork butt on the smoker even as we speak. Currently at 190 degrees and looking for 203. Hopefully it finishes in time for dinner.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here