Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon, Bacon ecowper has the Bacon and awesome looking Bacon it is. Hope it taste as good as it looks. Yum

Comment

I square up each slab of bacon to make it easier to slice and cook later. Plus it gets rid of the outer hunks of fat and such. Then I take all those pieces, dice them up small and make bacon bits :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	283717

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        How do you store your bacon?

Those slabs looked awefully good!

Comment

Great job, can't wait to start my own!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          YOu're gonna love it CaptainMike! I cut a slice off each slab and tasted ..... so awesome. I don't buy bacon at the store anymore.

ecowper, Thanks for Your Bacon Post! Interesting and educational as Well! I have vaige Memories of the Hams and Bacon Slabs hanging from the Floor Joists below the kitchen of the Old Farmhouse We lives inside! They were Cured in a Dry Brine in 100 Gallon Red Wing Crock! They were Dried then Hauled Somewhere Else to be Smoked? I wish I knew more about the whole Process Now, anyone who knew it are long since Gone and as Far as I know It was Never Written Down!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

CaptainMike as far as storing bacon goes, it depends on when I expect to cook it. Anything that I will cook in 2 weeks, or less, I use a ziplock bag and store it in the fridge. Anything I think will go beyond two weeks, I slice, break it into meal portions, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and butcher paper, then I freeze it.

Comment

ecowper looks amazing! I tried curing/smoking bacon for the first time this past weekend and it was so much better than store bought. Just a question, I trimmed off the big layer of fat (skin?) you left on because if felt very tough and was afraid it would ruin the bacon. But it seems you left it on. Did you have any problem?

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I buy pork belly at Costco, typically. They sell you a belly with the skin already removed. :-)

I typically do the smoke with the skin on, then use a boning/filet knife to take it off while still a bit warm. Works for me.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Why do you do it that way?

CaptainMike That's how Ruhlman's book said to do it. Haven't had an issue with it, so didn't bother to change it. It is a point in the process where it's easy to remove the skin because the fat is soft and skin is relatively hard. So you keep more fat.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I have 13lbs awaiting conversion, so I'll try both methods.

Looks great. Civilization's greatest achievement: bacon.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Steve Vojtek which is why one of my bacon recipes has whiskey in it :-D

• Steve Vojtek
            Steve Vojtek commented
            Editing a comment
            That is why my next bacon will be your NYT recipe . Time to get a belly drunk.
            Right after I finish the pastrami ecowper

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Steve Vojtek it's pretty good. Give it a whirl. Heck, you could increase the bourbon and decrease the water, in my humble opinion. :-D

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here