Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Char Siu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Char Siu

OK, Ed recommended Char Siu. so, jump in here guys and let's talk about this.

From a historical/cultural standpoint, this looks like an open fire version of BBQ. I didn't see a lot of reference to smoky flavor so I will probably not add smoke pellets via my skillet. (I do my blue smoke by using a small cast iron skillet with my smoke pellets in it and wrapped in several layers of aluminum foil with holes poked in it. gives me nice blue smoke and pellet char coal that is perfect to keep my beekeeping smoker going. but, I will toss a few pellets on the coals from time to time to have the smoky flavor that would have been in a more open fire (though Asia used charcoal from a long way back, it was expensive and usually purchased by the upper classes)

the cut is likely not a hugely restricted thing except mostly the cheaper cuts. the lean cuts wouldn't work as you'll get jerky. I'll probably use our shoulder.

some talk about marinating and wonder why the get no spice taste. we all know the answer to that one. so, this looks like hunter's pork. while I won't cook open cause I don't want to waste the fuel. I also want to keep the temp down, low and slow, to get the nice skin and the tender meat. the good part is, it will cook faster than a hunk'o' shoulder since it will be hanging and in thinner pieces.

but, the 225-250 temp is likely the proper temp for this as well, since it would have been prepared on a cookfire, likely in the field in its origins. but, an open fire is still not going to be searingly hot, even in flames and we know the proper temps for cooking pork to tender deliciousness (thank you Meathead and staff!!)

So, EdF I take up your challenge. Sending the Y Chromosome out this week for the proper ingredients and will report with results!!

OK, so first, some smoke won't hurt. The main focus is the crispness of the skin, using the baking soda or baking powder trick - I forget which. But the right meat is pork belly. Nothing else will take it where it needs to go.

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      only on the belly version which is the one that gives you crispy skin, since it has skin. but the shoulder would be just as good and would yield and even, all over shiny glaze from the honey rub. way I'm seeing in my reading is they are both car siu but of different varieties

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Right you are!

This one has the right approach:

Cantonese Roast Pork Belly, or siu yuk, can be found in many Chinatown restaurant windows, but with our recipe, you can make it at home!

And this one:

Shanghai-Style Braised Pork Belly (hong shao rou, 红烧肉) is a very famous dish in China. Everyone knows hong shao rou (red cooked pork) is a Shanghai favorite

And this one:

Classic Cantonese Crispy Pork Belly aka Roasted Pig or Siu Yuk made at home with step-by-step recipe.

Guess it's actually called siu yuk.

This one looks especially good and easy:

Whilst all crispy roast pork bellies are created crispy and crunchy, I do prefer the Chinese-style roast pork belly method. It has not only a crunch but a brittle texture as well that is easy to the bite. Siu yuk, as it is more fondly known, has been a Southern China delicacy for ages. Unlike the western style that scores the skin, the Chinese crispy roast pork belly requires you to labourously prick the skin until the skin is completely punctured with holes.

All of these should be easily transferred to something that produces a bit of smoke!

Comment

• Gooner-que
      Gooner-que commented
      Editing a comment
      The Woks of Life is one of my favorite cooking blogs, always great recipes and stories.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Yesterday, I followed Steven Raichlen's pork tenderloin alternative for char siu. His basic recipe in his "Project Smoke" uses pork shoulder. The tenderloin recipe is on his website under char siu pork tenderloin (different directions for cutting the chunk prior to marinating). I did keep the temp between 225 and 250 (closer to 225) throughout the cook and used apple wood for smoke. I planned for a 60 minute smoke using lit KBs laid along a strip of unlit briquets. Used indirect heat and rotated the two long strips and flipped them (closer one got moved outside when I rotated them end-to-end and slightly basted them) just once in the 50 minutes it took to reach an internal temp of 160F. Excellent smoke flavor. Probably should have finished over direct heat for just a minute or so to crisp the outside. Nevertheless, it was wonderful. Hardware was my Weber Summit Charcoal Grill.
    Last edited by Harry; April 2, 2017, 09:02 PM. Reason: Added a parenthesis I had missed.

Comment

you guys are making me soo hungry. I get char siu at the local Asian market they make it fresh dally it is soo good . i will have to try to make it myself some time.

Comment

Well, ChattaVegas is many things but an international anything ain't among them. we have a few ethnic markets but not many restaurants. I wish we had a more varied palette but, we'll do with what we have! It's worth it to live here!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here