Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Baby Back Ribs Yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Baby Back Ribs Yesterday

Hey All, so I did my Smoked Baby Back Ribs yesterday. It was 65 degrees and sunny here in CT, so perfect weather for a good cook! Thought I would share the experience with you all, through words & photos. I will include the recipe for my "Brad's Tangy, Sweet & Spicy Bar-B-Q Sauce", which incorporates the 3 main types of sauces, Kansas - sweet; North Carolina - vinegar; South Carolina - mustard. Hope you all enjoy the show as much as we enjoyed the FINISHED PRODUCT!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Ready to prepare.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	278501 These were IBP Baby Back Pork Ribs purchased at BJ's Wholesale. They were meaty & well marbled. There were 4 racks, that I cut in half for easier handling and cooking.

Name:	2 Dry Rubbed.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	278502 Dry Rubbed - Using fresh ground salt, fresh ground black pepper, onion powder & garlic powder

Name:	3 Tabasco Sauced.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	278503 Tabasco Sauced - Yes, I said "Tabasco Sauced"! I liberally slather the dry rubbed ribs with Tabasco Sauce and let them sit, covered & cool, for about 2-4 hours. I know, I know, according to the "research" this stuff does not permeate the meat, but I have always done it this way (for over 40 years) and the meat always has a nice "pepper" kick to it. All I can say is, Try It! The SECRET to not having "Buffalo Wing" Ribs is the next step......

Name:	6 Searing on Weber.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	278504 Sear the Ribs over HOT COALS. By giving the ribs a good searing over hot coals (on my Weber 26"...LOVE IT!), it burns off the Tabasco Sauce oils (that's the stuff that makes your lips burn when eating Buffalo Wings & such) and leaves the pepper flavor on/in the rib meat. Again, all I can say is Try It! Once the meat side is well seared, I flip them over, bone side down, and lightly sear the bone side, which I believe tenderizes the "skin" over the bones. All I know is that I never have a problem with the "skin" on my finished product.

Name:	4 Landman smoker ready.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	278505 Here's my Landmark side mount smoker. I use Kingsford Charcoal and my wood of choice is Cherry, it gives the smoke a sweetness that I find enjoyable. I line the base of the smoker with tin foil so clean up afterwards is easier. When mopping the ribs at the end of the cook, it can get pretty sloppy in there and trying to clean that off the smoker itself is not fun, or easy!

Name:	5 Drip pans with beer.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	278506 I also place drip pans under the meat, and pour a bottle of Molson Ice beer into each pan. This helps in collecting the drippings from the meat as well as keeping the smoking chamber moist and preventing the meat from drying out. I ALWAYS pour a Molson Ice beer in the drip pan of ANY meat I cook/smoke. There is also Molson Ice beer in my Bar-B-Q Sauce too! ;-P

Name:	7 On the smoker.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	278507 After the sear, the ribs go in the smoking chamber. My digital thermometer is set up near the chimney of the smoker, to make sure my average temp in the chamber stays between 215 - 250, trying to stay as close as possible to a steady 225 throughout the smoking. The smoke takes anywhere from 3 - 5 hours, depending on the thickness of the meat and the number of ribs in the chamber.

Name:	8 One hour in.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	278508 One Hour in, the Cherry wood smoke is doing it's job and the ribs are getting HAPPY!

Name:	9 Four hours in, ready to sauce.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	278509 Four hours in, Ready to start Mopping with my famous "Brad's Tangy, Sweet & Spicy Bar-B-Q Sauce"!!!

Name:	10 First saucing.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	278510 First Mopping! I Mop at least 3 times, about 15 minutes apart, to get a good, generous coating of this delicious compliment to the smoked, peppery rib meat. Today, I was fortunate enough to have time to do FOUR Moppings....YUM, YUM, YUMMY!!!

Name:	11 Second saucing.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	278511 Second Mopping!

Name:	12 Fourth & final saucing, ready to serve.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	278512 Fourth & FINAL Mopping! Ready to take off the smoker and serve 'em Up!!!

Name:	13 Final product.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	278513
    Finished Product! You can see the smoke ring and juiciness of the meat, glazed with the 4 moppings of that delicious sauce. I have to say, these ribs were as meaty as I have ever had and this cook ranked in my Top 3 all-time...and as I said, I've been doing ribs for over 40 years!

Beautiful!!

Comment

• BradFlood
      BradFlood commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank You Sir

OK, so now here is the recipe for my famous "Brad's Tangy, Sweet & Spicy Bar-B-Q Sauce"

Brad's Tangy, Sweet & Spicy BBQ Sauce

This sauce marries the 3 most common barbeque sauces: Kansas - sweet; South Carolina – mustard based; North Carolina – vinegar based.

I start with a store bought sauce, usually "Sweet Baby Ray's" regular or "Honey" barbeque sauce as my base. I then add my additional ingredients, but do that more by the seat of my pants than exact measurements. The list below is what I add, with approximate measurements. Because I don't do exact measurement, I get a little different sauce each time, but it always has the "3 tastes" - Spicy, Sweet & Tangy, 5 kinds of sweet, LOTS of onion pieces and always finished off with a Molson Ice.

- 1 bottle base sauce

- 2/3 cup dehydrated chopped/minced onion

- 2 Tbl spoon minced garlic

- 1 Tbl spoon onion powder

- 1 Tbl spoon garlic powder

- 1/4 cup yellow mustard – about a 2 - 3 second squeeze of the bottle

- 1/4 cup honey

- 1/4 cup agave (blue agave) nectar

- 1/4 cup molasses

- 1/4 cup Vermont Maple Syrup (not Log Cabin!)

- 1/2 cup brown sugar

- 2-3 Tbl spoons of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce

- fresh squeezed juice of 1-2 lemons along w/ some of the pulp

- fresh squeezed juice of 1-2 large navel orange along w/ some of the pulp

- 2/3 - 1 cup apple cider vinegar

- 2 to 3 dashes of Tabasco sauce (to personal taste)

- 1 - 12oz bottle of Molson Ice (or your favorite cooking beer)

Mix all ingredients, except the beer, in large saucepan over medium heat, stirring as you go. Once all ingredients are stirred in, and brown sugar is dissolved, I do the "whiff" test. I get my nose close to the saucepan and take a "cautious, but full, whiff" with my nose. If the "kick" from the vinegar causes an uncontrollable "jerk" or "snap-back" reflex of my head, the sauce is ready to taste and adjust ingredients to taste and then to "finish” by adding the beer. However, if the "jerk” or "snap-back" reflex is not as strong as I wish, I add more vinegar and stir in, then retest until there is a sufficient "jerk/snap back”. This is a personal preference, but I like a strong reaction in my sauce.

To "finish" the sauce, turn the heat up to high and start a low boil, while pouring in the beer and stirring - be careful that you have a big enough saucepan, as the beer will create a large bubbly head as you stir it in. Continue stirring until the beer is completely incorporated and the sauce is in a slow but full boil. Keep it at a rolling boil & stir for 4 – 5 minutes, until the alcohol has had a chance to boil off.

Once the alcohol is boiled off (4-5 minutes of boil), remove saucepan from heat and let the sauce cool and thicken. I try to make my sauce an hour or so before I will "mop" (no brushes allowed!) the meat. I usually set the saucepan outside to let it cool off and thicken.

I always use a barbecue mop to coat the meat. I find that mopping the meat in the last 30 - 40 minutes of cooking is best. I do 3 moppings about 10 minutes apart during the last 30 - 40 minutes of cooking, so the sauce will "caramelize" on the meat in layers, leaving a good coating.

The sauce can also be used as a "dipping" condiment on pulled pork, brisket, ribs and chicken too.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Would you mind posting this in the BBQ Sauces recipe section?

• BradFlood
      BradFlood commented
      Editing a comment
      HI Huskee, I would be happy to post the recipe on the BBQ Sauces recipe section. Thanks for the suggestion!

My favorites are spareribs, but Imsure would enjoy your Babybacks. Nice cook. How many were you feeding or were they all for you?

Comment

• BradFlood
      BradFlood commented
      Editing a comment
      There were four of us. My 2 sons came down to join us. One's birthday is next week, the other has been on the road getting his CDL/long haul driving license and was back in town for the weekend. Sent them home with leftovers. Did up my special baked beans too, they both love them!

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      BradFlood - Two sons. That explains it.

Great looking ribs.

Comment

• BradFlood
      BradFlood commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Tasted even better than they look!

• LarryO47
      LarryO47 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am sure they did. They do look DELICIOUS.

Great looking ribs with gorgeous caramelized sauce. Wonderful detailed write up as well.

Comment

• BradFlood
      BradFlood commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank You!

WOW, that looks GREAT!!

Comment

• BradFlood
      BradFlood commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Great looking cook. That sauce sounds killer!! Do you use Kingsford just to light the fire or do you burn it as your fuel source?

Comment

• BradFlood
      BradFlood commented
      Editing a comment
      Kingsford for the fuel and drop chunks of cherry wood on the coals to add a sweetness to the smoke, mostly during the first 2/3 of the smoking time. I used to alternate between Kingsford and lump charcoal, but have discovered the Kingsford burns at a constant, slower/more reliable rate than lump.

Try the sauce, it is killer! Every time someone new tries it, I am told I need to market it...but then it would be "work" and not pleasure

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool!!! thanks man!! BradFlood

Great write up, I would love to try that sauce sometime. I am going to save this for later.

Comment

Nice cook! That's an interesting idea with searing with tabasco. I'll have to give that try. Thanks!

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I kind of liked that idea too.

One of the best pics/narratives I've seen. If it wasn't raining here in CA I'd be out trying to duplicate this cook.

Comment

Those look wonderful! I will follow you cue and "borrow" your recipe!

Comment

Great cook and the pictures are outstanding as well. My mouth is drooling.

Thanks for the rub recipe too. I'll give it a try this summer.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

I've been wanting to do ribs lately and this tells me that their time has come. Off to the market I go!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here