Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vacume Sealing Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacume Sealing Ribs

I usually buy my ribs at BJ's when they are on sale. I buy the pkg's with two racks in a package. On average I buy 3 or 4 pkg's. I then cut the ribs in half so I can vacume seal them and freeze them. My question is...does anybody cook 3 or 4 racks, then vacume seal them and freeze them? Curious if the flavor etc. is still good after doing it this way. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I have a couple of times and they have turned out great. My wife likes the ribs sauced, so I just smoke all the racks then sauce them on the smoker. After we are finished dining, I toss the leftovers in vacuum bags and then into the freezer. A few days later we just pop them into the microwave for a minute or two and we have ribs just like they came off of the smoker.

Comment

Late fall I will smoke several racks, some Butts, some brisket and vacume seal meals for the nasty cold, you know like a squirel. Throw the vacume bagged meals in boiling water for about 30 min and you have a nice fresh tasting meal.

Comment

I've done that a few times. The unfrozen/reheated ribs aren't quite as good as when they were originally cooked but they are still quite tasty.

Comment

I do it routinely. Vac seal, freeze, then thaw and heat while still in the bag in the SV hot tub. Lately, I've been deboning them before bagging and freezing ... mainly to save space in the freezer.

Comment

• LarryO47
      LarryO47 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Good idea on the deboning. All I have is my side by side so space is limited.

• Sierraslick
      Sierraslick commented
      Editing a comment
      What temp do you SV them to? I'm still learning my new Sous Vide and I have a leftover rack in the freezer right now! Thanks...

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Sierraslick - I just heat them to a good serving temp ... anywhere between 140 and 165 seems to do the job.

I buy the BJ's double pack as well. This time of the year in the Northeast is a tough time to be smoking every weekend. I usually smoke up 4 full racks, my wife and I eat one of them and I then vacuum seal the rest, cut up into 1/4 rib size, 2 to a vacuum bag. As MBMorgan said, not quite a good as off the grill - but after a 30 min soak in 211.9 degree water, a quick broil to firm up - still great. Especially watching the snow swirl around ;-)
    I would say that after the KBQ, my vacuum sealer is my second favorite device. Can't imagine being without one.

Comment

Thanks, JGrana. Looks like I will be doing this from now on after reading all the comments.

Comment

I vac seal cooked ribs all the time. I bring thawed packages to tailgate parties. Put a little sauce on the ribs and heat them up over direct flame on my portable gasser. Guests are amazed how good they are.

Comment

Hi Larry,
        I usually do the same...cutting the racks into halves snd into the foodsaver bags hey go. If any sauce is still moist on the outside, I just put them in a baking or bread pan and freeze them just before sealing 'em to keep the sauce from running out of the bag, but that doesn't take long. I also put about a double shot of water in the microwave and reneat at 50% ppwer for twice as lpng. The water absorbs some of the microwave energy and helps keep the ribs from heating as unevenly. Works when thawing at low temps with most slabs ( ribs, bacon, brisket etc.). Ribs usually make me want to "slab my mama"!

Comment

• LarryO47
          LarryO47 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds good, Thx, Tomcat

I just bought a vacuum sealer today at Costco, when you vac seal do you let the meat come down in the fridge? Room temp? Or vac seal while hot then straight into the freezer? Thanks everyone!

Comment

• LarryO47
          LarryO47 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with EdF, Advantage49.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          The other thing people do (especially in a sous vide environment) is dunk the sealed food into an ice bucket for a bit, then refrigerate.

• OneEyedJack
          OneEyedJack commented
          Editing a comment
          My experience is if the food is too hot and still out-gassing water vapor, you don't get a great vacuum and ice crystals will form within the bag upon freezing. Going to cool everything now before vac-sealing.

Sous vide a good way to bring back. Gentler than boiling. More even heating than the science oven.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, the "science oven". Loved that movie, Potkettleblack .

Kathryn

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          PKB, what's your SV strategy w frozen ribs?

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          135 is generally warm to mouth. 140 is not bad either. Since they're already cooked, just need to reheat. 20 mins. An hour. Depends on thickness.

Just the information I needed thanks guys😀

Comment

• LarryO47
          LarryO47 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto!!!!!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here