Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experimenting with different woods- shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experimenting with different woods- shoulder

I'm going to be cooking 2 shoulders this weekend, one will be on my GMG using perfect mix pellets, the other in my kettle. For the kettle I want to try different wood using my slow n sear (just ordered). What's a good combo to start with? Apple n hickory,apple n pecan, cherry n pecan??

also, when using the slow n sear with different woods would I line them up togather or have one smoke then the other ?? Thanks guys!

Apple and oak for me, or cherry and oak. Both apple and cherry are great with pork. Cherry and hickory is also very good. Never tried pecan with pork, myself. I usually set the wood up so it smokes one after the other, but I honestly don't know if it matters.

Comment

I've been able to try red oak, cherry, hickory, and apple with various mixtures without any noticeable difference.

I do prefer the smell of cherry as it smokes so that is my fave.

Comment

Pretty tough to beat oak/cherry, hickory/cherry, or _____/cherry for pork. I love cherry.

Comment

Oak and Cherry is the greatest combo that I have found. I love mixing in some hickory too. We don't have Pecan that grow here so, I don't ever use it. But I have heard good things.

Comment

Picked up some hickory and cherry, lumps

next question what's the best way to put these on the slow n sear?

Comment

My recommendation would be either hickory or mesquite mixed with a fruit wood. Both hickory and mesquite woods are instantly recognizable by most people and the second wood will keep them guessing.

Don't be surprised if most people don't notice tho - while my family eats a fair deal of BBQ, they don't know the difference between pecan and apple. They do react to the amount of smoke flavor though.

I have mixed oak with mesquite when I cook beef with great success. I haven't done as well with other smoke wood combinations.

I hope you'll post the results of your wood-mix after you've done your cook: I'm always looking for a new way to mix things up.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Advantage49 View Post
                Picked up some hickory and cherry, lumps
                next question what's the best way to put these on the slow n sear?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170205_094119.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	275149

This is my basic setup -- but after I hit my starting temp, I may adjust the wood to be closer to the heat, depending on how the fire is burning.

Bill

Attached Files

Comment

• Advantage49
                  Advantage49 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What I was looking for!! I'll post an update on Saturday when I'm cooking. In addition to the 2 shoulders 3 racks of spare, mac n cheese, and baby some beans... all this for my friends 3 year olds b-day !

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That looks like a good setup. I might move the smoke wood a tad closer to the flame, but that is it.

Advantage49 The more Q you cook, the more presents they'll bring.....at least that's what I like to think

Comment

And you're starting that 3yo off to a fine education!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here