Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone familiar with Kurobuta, Mangalitsa or Red Wattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
    Mangalitsa are hairy pigs. They grow fast and take minimal care, so very popular in Hungary where they originated. High lard production... if you're looking for a well marbled pig, you gotta get young mangalitsa, 12 months. Older and they get over fatty, apparently. Have been described as the Kobe of Pork, though I think that's more the unavailable in the US Tokyo-X pork, though I can see why. I haven't had these. In Hungary, mostly used for sausage making. In spain, prized for air curing, as they can cure loooooong. what meat there in on the pig (carcasses apparently run 65+% fat), is apparently quite flavorful.
    Yeah, when I went to the farm I got to pet a few of the pigs. That curly hair is really, really stiff. It almost feels like the pigs are covered in steel wool, really bizarre. Anyway, she told me that they had taken Mangalitsa in for butchering at 12 months, 14 months, 16 months and 18 months and that 18 months produced what they felt was the best possible pork. If I wanted to buy a whole hog I could request them to send it to the butcher at 12 months so I could compare the two.

The fat cap on my 18 month mangalitsa shoulder is insane, massive! So I'd like to find some way to use it as it's a lot of product that hopefully I won't have to waste.

And yeah, I've read Mangalitsa are the only pig with a greater concentration of fat to meat. Super ridiculous fatty pigs, but also read that the fat is mostly (if not all) unsaturated, so it's not as bad for you as the types of fat you'll find on most other pig breeds. Again, just what I've read -- if I'm wrong please correct me.

Lastly, I have a rack of kurobuta spare ribs that have thawed in my freezer. I'll likely oven roast them tomorrow to get a sense of the flavor, but yes, they are so much smaller compared to the spare ribs you get at Cash & Carry. But, on the upside, they feel very meaty! They came from Snake River Farms.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That should be a pleasure!

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd pull the cap and make a Lardo with it, using the recipe I posted upthread. I'm not lipidophobic, even with sat fat, but then I've hit 270 lbs at one point, so what do I know? Kuro-Berks might be my favorite pork flavor, tbh. Had some red wattle ones that I SVd, and they were almost too porky.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here