Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork Question...

so if I'm doing say 8 shoulders at once, could I put the shoulders individually in a small drip pan each? I'm thinking it would catch the drippings and also let the meat sit in the juices also? Just thinking out loud...anyone done it or a reason not to that I'm not thinking of. (Newbie smoker) thanks.

First thought is that the bottom of the butt won't see any smoke or develop any bark. Also, seems like the meat would boil in the juices. If you can elevate the butt above the juices in the pans with a rack that may be better.

Comment

TSY, what smoker would you be using to do this? Are you using an upright so that you could set a larger pan under the meat above, or are you using a horizontal smoker? Setting the meat in their own pans can surely be done, you just get no bark on that bottom edge of course.

Let's get to work on filling out your signature. If you need help just holler.

Comment

I will have a yoder Wichita...paid for and ordered...just waiting. Anyway, thanks for the replies. Didn't think of the no bark. You know how to do the signature stuff on an iPhone?

Comment

From what I've heard the signature option isn't accessible on iPhones & iPads. You can PM me your gear or whatever you'd like in it and I can add it for you. Or you can do it on a desktop.

I have a Wichita, what I do for the juices is I wrap each butt once they're a good ways into the stall, then just save the juices from the foil and add it back to the pork once it's shredded. You could maybe put a pan down on the heat management plate but it will get quite hot and I wouldn't recommend it but it's not impossible. Another option, if you ordered the upper rack, place some of your butts on the upper rack with a drip pan below them on the main rack.

Comment

When I first started I would put the shoulders on their own rack directly over a sheet pan. This worked great & left my smokers cooking rack clean. After doing this countless times I happened to run out of room in my cooker one day so I removed about half of the meat from their cozy little set up & placed them directly on the cooking rack. I noticed that the meat placed on those nice little racks took much longer to cook. From that time until now I never use that set up. In my novice mind I believe the slower time is due to the sheet pan deflecting the heat @ the bottom of the meat. I of course have not placed thermometers on the pan to test this theory but I’m sure that is the answer. Hope this helps! I’ve attached photos to show my early set up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2580.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	27566 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2573.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	27564

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you're right Jason, blocking some of that hot air convection.

Pm you or email you an AVI and what else's?

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll be away the rest of today, so you can send it to Pit Boss, otherwise I can help you by Sun or Sun night. You can even reply here with what gear you'd like listed in your signature (smokers, grills, thermometers, accessories, etc.)...this is so we can see your perspective on questions asked, since we'll all know what yu're cooking on/with. Plus it lets you brag a little.!

Originally posted by TheSmokingYeti View Post
            Pm you or email you an AVI and what else's?

Just send Huskee or myself the info you want in your signature and we'll add it. That's all he was saying. You can get it to us however you like, but PM is probably the easiest.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here