Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Ribs in the Camp Chef Smoke Vault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Ribs in the Camp Chef Smoke Vault

Yesterday we had another unseasonably warm and calm day here in Mid Michigan. It was 42 degrees f with wind at 0 to 5 mph out of the SW. So it was a great opportunity to run the smoker. This time we did pork ribs. I purchased two racks of St Louis Cut from the local Meijer grocery store.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	011.JPG Views:	2 Size:	5.72 MB ID:	274603
    Rinsed and removed what was left of the membranes. I actually could not tell if the membranes had been removed. I think now that they were after reading another post. But that's another story. After prep we dry brined for an hour.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	013.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.81 MB ID:	274604
    After about an hour with the smoker up to temp we applied Meathead's Memphis Dust and placed them in the chamber with about 4 oz of Apple chips. After about 45 minutes I added another 4 oz of wood chips.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	014.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.82 MB ID:	274605
    Click image for larger version  Name:	015.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.11 MB ID:	274606

After 5 1/2 hours we sauced them up with Sweet Baby Ray's and I finished them up on my Weber Gas Grill. Just to caramelize the sauce. Here are the finished ribs.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	019.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.42 MB ID:	274607
    Served with my Wife's customized Bush's Original Baked Beans from the smoker. And some simple Jiffy Corn Muffins.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	020.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.60 MB ID:	274608
    The ribs were good but not great! I did the bend test after about 5 1/2 hours and they cracked nicely. I was sure they were done. But the ribs were a bit chewy and didn't tug off the bone as easily as I would like. They also lacked overall tenderness. I think another 30 minutes to an hour would have been better. My pit temp was steady all day at 238 degrees f.
    Last edited by PJBowmaster; February 12, 2017, 08:36 PM.

Beautiful!

Comment

238 F Pit temp? They sure look good. The bend test is good, another good test is to poke with a toothpick, picked that up right here in The Pit, gives you a good indication of how done the insides are. After a few tries you will be calibrated as to what to look for.

Comment

• PJBowmaster
        PJBowmaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for catching that. My pit temp was 238 degrees f. Corrected above....

Looks like a fantastic Sunday meal!!! Great job!!!

Comment

Nice photos. I look at an undercooked rib this way - If it's undercooked today, tomorrow's leftovers will be spot on instead of overdone!

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

A mighty fine looking meal.

Comment

Sorry I missed this last week. Enjoy this amazing beautiful "April" weekend PJBowmaster !

Comment

I can't tell from the pic, but are you measuring the temp over the waterpan? I see a lot of steam there, that can be lowering temp by quite a bit. Then the temp for the top rack could be lowered by the ribs right underneath as well, might want to try another probe there too for the next cook.

Overall they look great though, and as tbob4 said, when you heat these up, they'll be perfect!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here