Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just started my first PBC cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just started my first PBC cook

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	274017Click image for larger version

Views:	115
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	274020Click image for larger version

Views:	120
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	274018Click image for larger version

Views:	127
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	274019 Ribs went on at 3:20

ssandy_561, Looks to Me You're Off to a Great Start! Easy for Me to Say as I know absolutely Nothing about the PBC! Perhaps fzxdoc (Kathyryn),Spinaker, or Some of the Other PBC long time users will take a Peak Over Your Shoulder from Time to Time! The Best of Good Fortune to You and Your Ribs!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

That certainly looks like it will work

Comment

1 1/2 hours into the cook Click image for larger version

Views:	126
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	274061

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like it _is_ working!

Looks good, ssandy_561 . I would recommend that you double serial hook those ribs. As they cook and get more tender, they might split at the hook and head south. You wouldn't want that! So I hook my ribs in two places, with the top of the lower hook looped over the bottom of the upper hook. If the ribs are really long (closer than a few inches to the fire) , I cut them in half.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Enjoy your cook!

Kathryn

P.S. You're making me hungry.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

I hook on the opposite end of the rib (the widest portion) and probably two bones lower and have not had a problem as of yet.

Good luck. Sure looks good so far.

Comment

Dinner is served Click image for larger version

Views:	114
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	274096

Comment

• GadjetGriller
                GadjetGriller commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow those look amazing!!! (Get it Amazingribs??? ok I thought it was funny) Really GREAT looking Cook!!!

Looks good from here. What do you think?

Comment

DAmn right!!!! Man those look killer!!!

Comment

Did mine today,as well. I did chicken. Ribs tomorrow. Nice!!!!!!
                  Last edited by LarryO47; February 11, 2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Wow I should have bought one of those. Nice job

Comment

Ribs were good. A bit on the not so moist side. The PBC ran warm for the whole cook. ~300 degrees. I think I let it heat up too much at the start. Plugged the holes with aluminum foil and still had a bit of trouble keeping the temps down.

Also the dry rub that comes with the PBC is quite salty. I know next time to use less.

Comment

Usually when my PBC runs that hot, it's because the lid is not on tight enough, ssandy_561 . Next time check to make sure that not even the tiniest wisp of smoke comes out from under that lid rim.

Doing ribs at 300 degF is not all that bad. You just need to keep a close watch and take them off sooner than you would expect.

You're right, the PBC rubs are very salty. I use the AP rub to dry brine chicken. It's delicious! Just treat the rub like it's mostly salt and you'll be fine.

Have you tried Meathead's Memphis Dust on ribs? It's delicious!

Kathryn

Comment

• ssandy_561
                          ssandy_561 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Have used the dust for about a year and a half on my Weber. I just wanted to go full PBC on my first rib cook. Even used KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce to slather at the end

• fzxdoc
                          fzxdoc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You did it just as I did on my first few cooks, ssandy_561 . I followed Noah's method to a T. After that, I started tweaking. You'll be doing the same, I'm sure. Have fun with your next PBC cook!
                          K.

Beautiful!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here