Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs smell off out of package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs smell off out of package

So I bought my st Louis ribs from the supermarket. I usually buy my meat from Costco. Just saw them when I was getting my groceries yesterday. Saves a trip to Costco on a Saturday. Hormel was the brand. I wanted to salt them overnight so I didn't have to mess around in the morning so I salted them and threw them in the fridge in some foil. When I opened the first package it was fine. Opened the 2nd package, had an off smell. The smell went away after a couple of minutes. No big deal right? I fired up the smoker this morning and went to put the rub. There's a gray-greenish color on my ribs from the 2nd package and the off smell was back. Thank God I thought to wrap them separately. FYI the pack date was 2 days ago.

Threw the 2nd rack away. Before I go back to the grocery store for my money back, is it normal to have this happen to your ribs when you pull them out of the package? If they're a little off smelling will smoking them and cooking low and slow be good enough and safe enough to eat? This has happened twice to me when buying ribs from the grocery store (2 separate grocery stores) and I wanted to know if this sort of thing was acceptable and maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I air on the side of caution and threw them away, but wanted to see if this happens a lot to you guys. It's happened twice at separate grocery stores with me and never happened with Costco. No super bowl party today, just me, my wife, and my 1 year old. But if I was having folks over I'd be a lot more annoyed.

Thanks for your input.

Here is a link to a discussion about that same topic you will find interesting: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...resh-ribs-reek

Comment

Ours had slight smell from yesterday. Stronger than most but not overbearing. No off colors but they had plenty solution because they came out rather "hammy" with minimal salt added by me.

Comment

Back in the Middle Ages it was common for people to greet each other with "How are your bowels?". Today we just say "How are you". The reason for the first greeting was that, without refrigeration, eating spoiled meat was common, and that led to "problems". So, if it smells off, I toss it too.

Comment

• Stoney
          Stoney commented
          Editing a comment
          "How are your bowels?" I like that. I'm bringing that one back.

I am assuming that the ribs were vacuum packaged because they were branded - Hormel. That bag probably had a small leak and let some oxygen in. Spoilage bacteria usually need oxygen which is why we use vacuum to extend the shelf life. The color would indicate it is a spoilage issue and not just a normal "sulfur" smell when you open the cryovac package. Not likely to hurt you but they taste will be bad so it is not worth it. You also mentioned a pack datel of only 2 days. Ribs don't turn color in 2 days. The the supermarket may be taking old product that is close to expiration and repackaged them with a new date. If this was a tray pack done by the market, they may be buying ribs in bulk and repacking in trays which will dramatically lessen the shelf life. You were right not to eat them.

Comment

Pork, chicken, and fish. If it smells off, it is IMHO. Beef, different story.

Comment

• Deaf Arty
            Deaf Arty commented
            Editing a comment
            How so, "different story"? I threw out a two rib plate of beef short ribs the other day because they smelled strongly off. Did I waste some good meat?

Different story, meaning that when I buy a roast of prime rib, or NY strip steak roast in the vacuum packaging, I always age it for a couple weeks after purchase in the fridge. Most of the bulk vacuum packed beef roasts, clods, whatever, haven't been aged at all. Opening the package, at this time,will give off an odd odor. This is normal. Trim, slice and wrap. This isn't truly aging, just more of a rest to begin the process of decomposition which helps enhance flavors and tenderness. This process will produce a gas that smells, well, unappetizing, but completely normal, that will release once you open the airtight package.

Comment

If pork stinks out of the cryovac and it doesn't dissipate quickly, toss it. I've bought 2 packs of butts, one smells just a bit sour and the other doesn't. Trimmed them up for contest and re-vacuumed. I marked the sour one -- it turned green within 36 hours. I've known folks that will wash their stinking pork with vinegar, I don't know if this helps or hurts!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here