Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon Shortage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon Shortage

Has anybody else been reading these articles about the high demand for pork belly is going to create a bacon shortage and/or price increase for bacon. 😩

No, but I've yet to buy my first belly so I'm not particularly keen on all things pork belly.

​​​​​​I did however buy a serving of the already cooked stuff last night.

Comment

My local Sam's has recently started to carry it so it's much easier (& cheaper) for me to get belly. Used to only be able to get it by ordering a case and even then it cost about a buck/lb more.

Comment

I think it was being hyped up. Pork production is supposed to rise 3%. The new articles I'm reading on the subject are investigating why this was ever claimed. Even the web site making the original shortage predictions was taken down.

Comment

As I'm writing this the Radio Newscaster is saying there shouldn't be any shortage of Pork Belly or Bacon. Good news!

Comment

It was probably fake news created by pork wholesalers so they could charge everyone more for pork belly

Comment

• Lowjiber
              Lowjiber commented
              Editing a comment
              Imagine that.

Speaking of bacon, could someone send a wild hog my way.....current location is below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170202_081936.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	270211

Comment

A bacon shortage! Aaaarrrgghhh! Send in the National Guard! Demand Congress act! Invade a pig raising country!

Comment

the pork industry might be learning from the oil industry. "oh we are switching to our winter/summer pigs, prices are going up"

Comment

No shortage here in Iowa! Belly prices are lowest I've seen in years!

Comment

It was actually on the news here. Basically stated that the pork belly "reserves" are at a low, but there is really no actual shortage.
                    Last edited by TheCountofQ; February 2, 2017, 10:24 AM.

Comment

It's like beef, they'll say beef under refrigeration is at an all time low without telling you 1. Less than 2% is actually put under refrigeration and 2. A month from now it could be at an all time high

Comment

My news also reported this morning that there is not a shortage of bacon, just current pork belly reserves which should be replenished and not have an effect on bacon. The broadcaster said the report had caused a run on bacon in some places making the initial report of the shortage seem accurate. At Christmas time there was a running report that there was going to be a shortage of whipped cream. Sure enough, the grocery store shelves were bare after the report. I'm wondering how many people in town have 20 cans of whipped cream in their fridges wondering "Should I have just invested in silver or gold? There is no expiration date on that stuff"

Comment

I guess my local news station misreported the alternative facts this morning about the bacon shortage being the worst since 1957.

Comment

In order for there to be a bacon shortage there'd have to be a hog shortage too, right? I can't speak for the whole country but here in Wisconsin there's plenty of hogs running around, especially the two legged variety.

Comment

• Craigar
                              Craigar commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Hahahaha!

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here