Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Pork Butt on the WSGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Pork Butt on the WSGC

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4171.JPG Views:	2 Size:	4.98 MB ID:	268665
    Seeing all the grilled and smoked goodness here (& a free Saturday) prompted me to make pulled pork for the first time on my Weber Summit Charcoal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4173.JPG Views:	3 Size:	5.07 MB ID:	268666
    Dry brined the 7.5lb butt for about 30 hours and coated it with Memphis Dust. Went on the grill at 6am
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4175.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.59 MB ID:	268658
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4178.JPG Views:	2 Size:	7.14 MB ID:	268667
    Had to add more water and coals (more on that in a moment) at the 5 hour point.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4180.JPG Views:	2 Size:	7.47 MB ID:	268662
    The stall happened around 1:30 at 160 degrees. Around 3 (after I thought I powered through the stall without wrapping as I got to 170 degrees), I noticed the grill temp getting low (I targeted 240 degrees). I realized the coals were all but extinguished. Had to take the meat off the grill to reload and light new coals. The feeling of seeing the meat temp go backwards is sad, sad, sad.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4183.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.25 MB ID:	268660
    Meat came off the grill 7pm. Bone came out clean. Family was happy with it (including the wife, who usually doesn't eat red meat).

SO WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED?

• load enough coals to last 12+ hours
    • don't press the aluminum foil tray on the diffuser plate. It will put a hole in the bottom and water will leak.
    • take a nap at some point if you wake up at 5am to set up the grill
    Attached Files

Nice work! Thanks for the pics and writeup... (and sound advice!)

Comment

Great looking cook!! Nice write up.

Comment

Beautiful!!

Comment

Yummy. Congrats on making that WSCGC do your bidding!

Kathryn

Comment

Looks like yummy-licious pork goodness t' me, thanks fer sharin' yer butt!!! ;-)

TwoNuse I'm curious what th' metal plate on th' charcoal grate is in pic #4...is it summat that comes with th' Summit?

Thanks, Amigo!!!

Smoke On!!!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 29, 2017, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• TwoNuse
              TwoNuse commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, Weber includes the diffuser plate (that's what they call it) with purchase.

And as expensive as the Summit is, it is the least they can do.

"• take a nap at some point if you wake up at 5am to set up the grill"
            Nice looking cook!! I like the advice! However there would be no choice for me I would flat fall a sleep if I got still! (I always set a alarm on my watch just encase I spontaneously fall asleep!) Now you know why I like Gadgets!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, Gadgets Rock!!! I always point out t' folks, my witchwatch gots (way!) more CPU power n' throughput than what we landed Men on th' moon with, in 1969.

That's a good looking cook ~ Ron

Comment

TwoNuse, I'd Eat That! 👍👍👍👍👍
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Nice job! I need to learn to wake up that early in the morning...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here