Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which ribs do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love me some loin backs when they're on sale like last week at Mariano's for $3/lb 😀 other wise I go with spares

Comment

Different animal but brisket and ribeyes were both $9 a pound at Costco two days ago... Guess which I picked

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        The ribeye Sir. The ribeye=)

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        C'mon Dave - buy a whole ribeye at Costco, fabricate it yourself, and save more than $2/lb. Had some tonight - the first ones that were FoodSaved and frozen. Pretty darn good.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        No doubt TB. I kinda like getting to sift through all the prepared steaks though and picking out my favorite

The McRib cut

Comment

I unusually do regular spare ribs. I peel then and trim some excess fat (I know. . . No such thing!) But have not yet trimmed them into SLC. I am thinking about doing it for my next cook but I'm not sure what to do with the trimmings. Does anybody have any ideas? I use my own rub recipe and my own Rum Molasses Sauce to finish them on direct heat.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          My custom is to dice them up and trim them and make a stir fry while I'm smoking the ribs. I add a dash of salt & pepper, teriyaki, soy and some brown sugar to the skillet. No measurements, it always turns out awesome. Pitmaster reserve.

I have done BB, SLC and back ribs and I have to pick BB. To me they have a better flavor.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          We have a lot in common you & me. Stickburnin' the baby backs.

Nice new mug shot by the way!

I like 'em all! Having said that, when price is an issue, I get packages of baby back rib ends from my local retailer. As I'm often in an experimenting mood, I can do several different recipes at the same time under the same conditions. Or consequently, do the same recipe under different conditions. My wife prefers baby backs, so we tend to eat more of those than SLR. However, she's coming around...lol

We don't do beef ribs often; unless, we are spending the day in the garden where they can be checked on often in long cooks. The time spent is well worth it, but we don't often have the time(we grow a great deal of our own stuff).The exception to the beef rib thing is Kalbi, as we also love Asian food. Kalbi is quickly prepared, which works out well.

Comment

SLC for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here