Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which ribs do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which ribs do you use?

Do you cook baby back or SLC ribs and why? Do you cook them differently other than SLC take longer?

Both

I prefer SLC's. More bang for the buck. Plus, most back ribs, are just that, back, not baby back. But I like a good rack of back ribs any day.

Comment

I go for spare ribs and trim them up... *shrug*

Comment

I'm all for both. Like smarkley when I do SLC I get spares and trim. I love rib tips.

Comment

Beef short ribs >>> SLC. I haven't done baby backs in years.

Comment

I like all ribs about the same, but the wife prefers SLCs so I usually get spares at Sam's (on $2 a pound in bulk) and cut em down.

Comment

I do both but if I had to choose one I would go SLC

Comment

SLC. Backs seem to go "fall off the bone" more easily, and I like a little more pull. That they are cheaper also helps.

Comment

SLC. We just like them better and they're a better value.

Comment

I cook both. I prefer Farmland (or Smithfield) brand non-injected or enhanced. I've done well with enhanced ribs, but I personally find them very salty. Wal-Mart sometimes carries an extra-meaty loin back rib which cooks up very, very nice.

Comment

If the price were the same I'd pick baby backs every time. They are predictable (for me) I know how to cook them, they don't dry out, they're thinner width-wise so I can fit more of them in a given area, etc etc etc. I've had mixed results with StLs but lately I pick them since they're much cheaper where I live, especially as full spares.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. So far I have only done Baby Backs (Tyson) which I can get inexpensive at the Commissary on base. But based on the comments, I will have to give SLC a try. Still trying to decide which rub we like best. So far the two main ones I use are Memphis Dust and John Henry Pecan Rub. I am going to try Huskee's and also one by Chris Lilly.

Comment

Originally posted by jlazar View Post
                          I am going to try Huskee's and also one by Chris Lilly.
                          Lemme know what you think! Even if you hate it, I value all feedback.

Comment

I like regular SR .a ND try and get them whenever I can. I get mine from Costco, Walmart, and Patak mostly

Comment

I love the SLC! Hormel's ribs from Albertson's are my current favorite.

I'm learning to spot what I want from the freezer. (e.g. Not the ones with too much topside meat on the bottom). Baby Backs are great too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here