Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Ribs On New Yoder YS640

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Ribs On New Yoder YS640

YS640 delivered last Thursday. Tested with some wings, and a stuffed pork tenderloin, and am ready to smoke some ribs, to (hopefully) competition quality. Put out a general invite to a few neighbors to be on my judging panel. Been reading and watching videos on the process. All previous attempts using some variation of the 3-2-1 method yielded overcooked/steamed ribs that were tasty, but no great bark, and certainly no bite as they fell apart when picked up from the smoker. So today, I will try to convert my newly acquired knowledge into experience to produce quality ribs. I make all my own spice rubs/blends and sauce, and will use a combination of a Creole and Sweet BBQ rub, in what I label as 40 proof, meaning that it contains a milder cayenne rated 40,000 SHU (Scoville Heat Units). I can vary that to 60 Proof or 90 Proof based on individual taste preferences, but I also make NFC, which has "No Cayenne", (if you know what I mean) or Scorpion, using Trinidad Butch-T Scorpion pepper (1,400,000 SHU) that I grow. Pictures and my personal analysis will be posted later.

Congrats on the Yoder. I guess you will be learning how to yodel - er - Yoder now. Lookin' forward to you report and photos.

Comment

BeachBlues, Sounds Great! Looking Forward to Your Pic's!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Competition quality means the ribs that people would rather come to YOUR house for and it sounds like you are well on your way to making that a reality. Good job!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the results. Good luck with your cook. BTW next year maybe try stepping up your pepper game. I've been growing the Carolina Reapers for the past few years, (2,200,000) (shu). They have a really nice, almost fruity flavor for about 10 seconds before all hell breaks out in your mouth. The only bad thing is that you do pay the price the next day. Ouchy. Hehe.

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Guaranteed to burn you twice!

• BeachBlues
            BeachBlues commented
            Editing a comment
            I stopped growing the Scorpions because I have enough in powder form to last awhile. I make a lot of sausage, and have a few friends who like really hot Italian. I add a little scorpion to bring the heat where they want it without compromising the general taste of the sausage.

Beach Blues - I don't think you can produce a better quality or better tasting rib then those created by following the Last Meal Ribs recipe right here on AR. You will have friends offering to bring bottles of nice wine to dinner if you'll cook up the ribs. You truly cannot get ribs like this at a restaurant.

Comment

Congrats on the Yoder. Post some pictures of that thing in action.

Comment

Here are a couple pictures of the first 6 racks of ribs. The first picture are Memphis dry style, with just a finishing glaze of homemade sauce. They smoked on the top rack of the YS640. Gave them a "B". Need to get better at the probe test for doneness, as they could have stayed in the smoker another half hour. Second picture are KC "pork candy" style, glazed in brown sugar and honey. They smoked about 3 hours for color, then double wrapped in foil with the sugar and honey. Gave them a "B-", as portions were a little overdone. All in all, 10 neighbors came over to "judge" the results. Most of the ribs were gone, the trash can was overflowing with beer and wine bottles, and I asked them all to go home about 1:30am.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_182022.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	269505Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_190612.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	269506 ​​​​​​​
              Attached Files

Comment

You may have gave them a B and B- but they look pretty tasty.... Sounds like the party was a success too.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
                  Looking forward to seeing the results. Good luck with your cook. BTW next year maybe try stepping up your pepper game. I've been growing the Carolina Reapers for the past few years, (2,200,000) (shu). They have a really nice, almost fruity flavor for about 10 seconds before all hell breaks out in your mouth. The only bad thing is that you do pay the price the next day. Ouchy. Hehe.
                  Never heard of putting toilet paper in the freezer??

Comment

• Craigar
                    Craigar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just take a tray of ice cubes with you.

Very Nice!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here