Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby Backs vs St. Louis question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4390.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	263846 We only ate one of the racks yesterday. Warmed some up today and kept seeing this. Doesn't that mean they aren't totally done?

Comment

• Jeff_Carley
      Jeff_Carley commented
      Editing a comment
      you have to overcook your ribs to get the perfectly picked clean look. what you made looks like you had them just right. the ribs should pull apart yet not fall apart

Not at all. They don't have to pull 100% cleanly off the bone.

Comment

Especially back ribs. Back ribs tend to not pull cleanly off. And that isn't bad.

Comment

Great guys. Thanks for the education

Comment

I typically cook ribs at 225. Babybacks usually take an hour less than St. Louis. Typically St Louis ribs take six hours and Babybacks take five hours. Seven hours seems like overcooked. I like St Louis ribs better. If that's true for you one solution is to stick with St Louis ribs.

Comment

My favorite method of testing is to slice one off around 4 - 4.5 hours. Why else are you standing out there with a bourbon in one hand?

Comment

Welcome aboard! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

Welcome Chaser_32

Comment

Chaser_32 I use the PBC and smoke mine @ 250-275 for 3 hours. The exact same ones you buy from SAMS or COSTCO. At the three hour mark I pull them, glaze them then put them back on. At the 4 hour mark I pull them completely. Tent wrap with foil and let them sit for 30 min or so. At this point the toothpick test, think probe tender, passes and I have juicy ribs...every time....practice practice practice... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4097.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	266897

When cut mine look like DogFaced PonySoldier every time. at first I had the same issue as you. until I figured them out. now they are practically fool proof.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here