Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork first time using GMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork first time using GMG

Good afternoon I plan on using my new GMG Daniel Boone this weekend to smoke a pork shoulder. I figure it's the most forgiving cut when using a new a smoker. I'm tempted to smoke with just hickory for my pellets, and wanted to know others experience using hickory ? I've never used only hickory in my pellets normally some sort of blend. Please share you wisdom with me

thanks!

You should have no problem with hickory. Higher BTU content will help ensure even temps on the GMG DB. Good luck and happy smoking!

Comment

If you are worried about a strong smoke flavor, don't worry...pellet cookers produce a light smoke. You'll be fine!

Comment

You shouldn't have a problem at all.

Comment

I really like Hickory with pork, it is a good pairing

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies I just want to follow up with a quick question hopefully it doesn't start a debate. What is the best but I do use for sandwiches I thinking maybe pretzel roll King Hawaiian rolls I want to hear your thoughts?

Comment

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              That would be good. Add some slaw for crunch. Bagged "angel hair" cabbage, sweet pickle juice and mayo makes a nice one.

Originally posted by Advantage49 View Post
            Good afternoon I plan on using my new GMG Daniel Boone this weekend to smoke a pork shoulder. I figure it's the most forgiving cut when using a new a smoker. I'm tempted to smoke with just hickory for my pellets, and wanted to know others experience using hickory ? I've never used only hickory in my pellets normally some sort of blend. Please share you wisdom with me

thanks!
            Advantage49 ... I see you are in Milwaukee. I'm just north of you in Port Wash. Welcome to the pit!

Comment

Originally posted by CurlingDog View Post

Advantage49 ... I see you are in Milwaukee. I'm just north of you in Port Wash. Welcome to the pit!

Thanks!! Hopefully there is going to be a potluck smoke event coming soon!! We could even be true Wisconsites and make it an ice fishing one lol!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3916.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	263358 Here is the first shoulder cooked on the GMG, I couldn't resist the urge to pull a piece off

Comment

• Wando52
                  Wando52 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You have a nice butt!

• Ray
                  Ray commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks fantastic! And I'll bet it tastes even better.

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beautiful! That's what I do before everyone gathers around to reach in and get theirs.

Thanks everyone it was a huge hit!! I used the Memphis Dustnin it and the bark was incredible!

I also smoked slme chicken wings but they didn't turn out. I Changed to many variables in my recipe and got kicked in the butt because of it

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No worries, me Boyo: Shite happens!!! ;-)

I don't like smoking chicken on the pellet smoker. The skin has always come out rubbery and the meat has been... I dunno, bland somehow. I just quit doing chicken on the Traegar.

As for the butt, that looks great! Good job! I typically use apple or peach pellets, have occasionally used hickory, seldom if ever have I used mesquite. As noted above, the "smoke" on a pellet grill is mild and palatable to most people fairly easily, I think. Some of my friends with stick burners have brought me some stuff I thought was way over-smoked - particularly bologna. The ribs are fine with a heavier smoke, but I don't care for the bologna that way.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here