Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stalls???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalls???

Is it typical for stalls to happen above 180*? I am in the process of smoking a pork butt, and the internal temp went from 181 to 174 and has been holding there for over an hour. I have maintained a grill temp of 225*. Should i increase grill temp? Or let it ride....

Yep...you have hit a second stall

Comment

i would let it ride unless you're in a rush in which case you could wrap her up to speed through. Bark should be plenty set @ 175-180

Comment

Increase temp. Wrap if you're in a hurry.

Comment

I let it ride since it had a nice bark on it, and it finally broke. At 187 right now

Comment

My personal experience is that butts, (and other large clods of meat), stall when they want to.
            Last edited by RonB; December 28, 2016, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree. Those little bastards are always messing with us.
              cornbiscuits you could up the temp to get the cook done sooner. Maybe as high as 275. Butt (ha) if you have the time just let it ride. And show us some pics please.

For some reason I can't upload pics. It says the extension of the file does not match the content. Whatever that means

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1482970876280-963912481.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	256301 got the pics to work! Unfortunately it was after the fact.....this is what's left of a 10lb butt

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                LoL! looks like nachos for one tomorrow!

Better late than never and from what little I see looks very nice!

Comment

Once enough moisture accumulates on the surface to initiate the evaporative cooling process you will have a stall. Someone posted on the main site a few years ago a very zoomed in graph that showed a lot of mini-stalls to go along with the regular ones that we view. He had some pretty high-tech equipment.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here