Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby back ribs... Updated..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby back ribs... Updated..

Here's the post of Thursday's rib cook. 3 medium-small racks of baby backs, between 2.4 and 2.8lbs each.

3 racks, between 2.4 - 2.8lbs each. I've found it best to use BB racks less than 3lbs. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4888b.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2706

Trim membrane on back and any excess fatty spots within reason. I also trim excess loin meat, notice the red and blue line on pic above. The circle is a good example of excess loin meat, so I trim it fairly even with the rest of the slab, which approximates the dashed line. Save those trimmed pieces for stir fry while cooking,
    or whatever else, it's good meat.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4890b.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	2707

Here's a rack trimmed and ready for rub. Notice the left end isn't any thicker (height-wise) than the right end. The excess loin meat is trimmed, and a reasonable amount of fatty spots were trimmed.

Name:	IMAG4892.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	2711

Generous coating of Huskee's Rib Rub, my rub I created before I met Meathead and his Memphis Dust. A different recipe. I love it.
    Spray a light coating of PAM or similar, or lightly brush on regular cooking oil. Generous coating of rub. Pat it with fingers to seat it to avoid excess falloff. Do this at least 1-2 hrs before smoking so the salt can dry brine the meat. I did it 4hrs before smoking. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4891.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	2712

Each rack is wrapped in plastic wrap, then placed in a pan in the fridge until smoker is up to temp.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4893.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	2715

Here's the 3 racks in the offset.
    The green circle shows some of the brown sugar I add right before placing on smoker that hasn't melted quite yet, the rest has melted to form the glaze.
    The blue circles are my thermometer probes, one at the hot side toward firebox (red arrow) and one in the middle.
    The yellow lines show where the water pan is underneath the cooking grate on top of the heat management plate (tuning plate) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4905b.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	2716

Here's how I start a log cook. Half to 3/4 chimney of charcoal, few sticks of wood in it to prebrun some as it lights.

Name:	IMAG4922.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	2718

Nearby by is a bowl of charcoal with more logs pre-burning. I do this to get closer to ember status to avoid the billowing fresh smoke of new wood. Once they're blackened pretty good I put them in my cabinet smoker, sealed up, to stifle the burn. Then I add them as necessary to the firebox.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4930.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	2720

Here they are about halfway through the cook Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4939.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	2724

Passing the bend test/bounce test at about the 6 1/2hr mark

Name:	IMAG4942.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	2725

On the plate. Beautiful thing! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4952.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	2726

Attached Files
    Last edited by Huskee; September 29, 2014, 12:16 AM.

Man, those look good!

Comment

Nicely done!!

Comment

Originally posted by dprice View Post
        Man, those look good!
        Originally posted by IrondeQuer View Post
        Nicely done!!
        Thanks guys!

Comment

Man I wish Meathead would find sponsors for a throw-down in Vegas. As good as those look, I can do better.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            And I'll add these are non-sauced. What you see is the rub, the brown sugar, and the smoke.

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            Well. I guess I know what i'm cooking next weekend.

• jrobertson50
            jrobertson50 commented
            Editing a comment
            And i even better.....

At some point I'm just going to fly boftx up to MI to watch Huskee kick his a&* hehehehehe just sayin.

Tell me what you want on the ground when you get here bo so I can work on a budget.
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; July 19, 2014, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            Just get me a COS CharGriller Pro, some hunks of meat of whatever you want, a damn sharp axe, and a supply of mesquite and I'll be happy. Oh, and a couple of bottles of Glenmorangie. I'll bring my own cigars since Huskee doesn't smoke.

Cool, I'll get started on it. Ill get 4 bottles as I'll be joining you in the libation lol

Comment

Oh and you're flying coach. If you win your flying back first. if you lose Trailways. Blind judging. I'm the judge. lol

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              Works for me. I'll even pay my own fare back if I lose. But I want 3 judges.

My money my rules.....

just sayin easy to talk shit when your not investing

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey! I offered to pay my own way back if I lost!

Just remember, old age and treachery can overcome youth and ambition.

By the way, this kind of interaction was exactly why I decided to pay up for the Pitmaster Club. If all I wanted was hard data I could get that for free on AR and support the site by clicking on the links if I wanted to buy something. But this level of BS would be completely inappropriate when posting on an equipment or recipie review.

Comment

[laughing] I think a competition would take the fun out of it. But winning would bring it right back

Comment

Im slow bo but I figured you out... Thats why I'm engaging..

BUT.... oh never mind

Where the hell can I get a bunch of crappy desert wood?
                Last edited by Jon Solberg; July 19, 2014, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• boftx
                  boftx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You have? Please, tell my wife, it would make my life so much easier if she had a clue.

all in good fun ; )

Comment

Joking aside, I think all of this is part of BBQ.

Every region, hell, everyone of us thinks we can make the best damn BBQ that anyone has ever tasted. And on any given day, we're right. I know that Huskee thinks the KCBS has lost its way, and I agree with him. I'd love to have a chance to put my Q up against anyone here based solely on technique. I'll be the first to say that I am old school in that I think BBQ has to be wood-fired and the hell with gas or pellets. At the same time, I'll also say that the best advice I've ever read was to get an accurate digital thermometer right here on AR. I'm not ashamed to say that it took my 'Que to a whole new level.

All that notwithstanding, it would be bitchin' to have an AR throw-down! (In Vegas of course.)

Comment

I think we just pulled off the first total HIJACK!

Comment

• boftx
                      boftx commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Like I said, all part of what makes BBQ what it is.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here