Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sausage Making Equipmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage Making Equipmet

Thinking about making smoked sausages. Can you guys help with entry level equipment and gear recommendations?

A budget and existing equipment would help. Do you have a meat grinder? Do you have a sausage stuffer? Are you looking at hand-crank or electric items that you don't have?

Comment

I have no equipment. Would prefer electric. Maybe some type of starter kit? As for budget I'd like to stay around 100-150.

Comment

I am also thinking about making sausage and saw a you tube video using a kitchen aid mixer. So if you already have a kitchen aid mixer that might be a place to start.

Comment

Check out (thesausagemaker.com). They have any and everything you may need at all price levels.

Comment

If you have a Kitchen Aide mixer, you can add a grinder for less than $40. It would be OK for smaller quantities, and a good introduction to sausage making.

Comment

• SlushDeezey
              SlushDeezey commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a delonghi mixer and attachments aren't available.

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              SlushDeezey - sorry, but I can't help then. I don't grind much meat, so the KA attachment works well for me. I make around 5 lbs of sausage at a time, and maybe three or four times a year. I also grind my own hamburger, but again, maybe three or four times a year.

Ive never made sausage, but wanted to give it a shot. Where do you get the casings?

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              If you're just starting out I have found using (pre-tubed) casings are really easy to use. Pre-tubed meaning the casings are already flushed out and put onto a plastic tube. You just slide the tube over the sausage attachment, pull out the plastic strips and you're ready to go.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I've gotten mine from The Sausage Maker. That's also where I got my grinder a TSM. They're located in NY but will ship anywhere.

• nickgutnick
              nickgutnick commented
              Editing a comment
              Try your local butcher.

I got my 1/2 horse #8 grinder from Cabela's while it was on sale. Everything else I have gotten from sausage maker. I have three grinder plates.

You also need a good set up to keep everything as cold as possible. If the meat coming out of the grinder is over 55.0 degrees F for any length of time you could have food safety issues.

Colder meat cuts better and grinds better.

Comment

Not a fan of stuffing with a stand mixer attachment. I picked up an old #22 grinder and 6 qt enterprise stuffer on a yard sale for about $100 iirc. I've been able to get casings through my local grocery store. If I were you I'd start with a small manual grinder and make bulk sausage to see if I liked it before committing to a stuffer. The grinder can also be used to make freshly ground hamburgers

Comment

The food service at work has a monthly cookbook drawing. Oct. 2015 it was a book on sausage making (I stuffed the entry box - I was told I won because of my enthusiasm and the other entrants had won before. I think I linked the right one.) I picked up a hand grinder from a thrift shop for $10. Then we got a Kitchen Aid mixer and I got the grinding attachment for it.

RonB - I've read reviews of there being some issues with the grinder. Have you ever noticed grey in your meat?

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Atalanta - yes, there is a tiny bit of discolored meat in the very center. I just watch for it and pull it out.

I have LEM Product's #8 electric grinder and 5 pound stuffer. Both (as well as a meat slicer) have been bought from their "refurbished products" page at about 30% discount. My one experience with their customer service was excellent. The grinder can double as a sausage stuffer if you don't want to spring for the stand-alone stuffer at first.

Comment

• MattTheGR8
                  MattTheGR8 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I concur. A grinder with a stuffing tube is the best option in the price range where you're looking. If you like sausage making you'll eventually want to invest in a separate stuffer. Also, LEM makes some good quality equipment.

Also, while sausagemaker.com has plenty of supplies I've often found https://www.butcher-packer.com/ has at least as many supplies and typically much lower prices.

Comment

• johnec00
                  johnec00 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree that Butcher-Packer's prices are better than Sausage Maker. But for casings, my favorite is https://www.butcherspantry.com/.. Their Pre Tubed casings are competitively priced and sooooo much easier to use than the tangled-up hanks most offer.

• johnec00
                  johnec00 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ran out of character count on the previous comment, but Butcher's Pantry also offers a good selection of specialty casings and other consumables.

• nickgutnick
                  nickgutnick commented
                  Editing a comment
                  https://www.psseasoning.com very good as well. also sells "high temp" cheese if you like cheese in your sausage.

Everything but the Meat! – Sausage Making Supplies – Seasonings and Spices – BBQing and Grilling – Meat Processing Supplies for Home and Commercial Processors

This is where I get all of my supplies. Usually ships the same day I order it.

Comment

At a minimum you would want an electric grinder and a stuffer. While you can stuff sausage with a stuffer attachment on your grinder, it is MUCH easier with a dedicated stuffer. I got my current electric grinder from Cabela's, but started with a small electric grinder/juicer/grater and while it worked it took much longer to grind the meat and I had to be much more careful about trimming any gristle/tendons or the grinder plate would get plugged. My sausage stuffer is from The Sausage Maker. LEM also offers them. I have also used my kitcheaide with the grinder attachment to grind meat, but usually only for smaller batches of hamburger or pork sausage. I use casings that are packed in salt rather than water. They are cheaper than water packed, last indefinitely, and are very simple to use. Just pull them out, rinse them a bit, and soak in water according to instructions on package.

Comment

Another vote for a stuffer. Not even funny comparing that thing to stuffing through the grinder.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here