Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Meal Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Meal Ribs

I cut one corner and did baby backs, they were 1/2 the price of St. Louis. Dry brine for 2 hours, then oiled with a fresh batch of Memphis Dust. Added them to the BGE (trying out Kingsford Blue Bag) with a roughly 2:1 blend of apple:hickory. During the smoke phase, I spritzed with a Spiced Apple Rooibos Tea I just bought for the holidays from Teavana. I added ~1.5tsp of rock sugar to the tea to get some sugar on the ribs for bark. Stay tuned.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0356.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	25524

Dry brine picture not included...had the memory card out of the camera...doh!

Random experience, this was the first time I either had silver skin or was able to remove it from the back of the ribs. Came off easy peasy, hope it makes the difference! I do hear them sizzling in a way I'm not used to with the membrane removed.

They were just at the beginning of passing the bend test when I switched them over to the IR Gas grill for a final crisp. Right about the 3hr mark. I added a thin coat of sauce about 30min prior to the finish of the cook.

Name:	IMG_0362.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	25546

Other than the smoke ring kinda sucking, they were great. Really tasty, and pulled clean off the bone with a nice tug. Without a doubt the cleanest bones of any Last Meal Ribs I've ever had. Probably my best yet.

Name:	IMG_0363.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	25548
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bbantel; October 12, 2014, 02:22 AM.

Beautiful!

Comment

There was a bit of a smoke ring. I think they looked great and moist. If the texture and taste was there you had a winner!! And from your description about pulling clean from the bone you were there.

Comment

They look great. How was the taste?

Comment

Honestly, they tasted really good. The tea spritzing kinda got lost in the rub/smoke/sauce. I'm thinking of making glaze with the tea next time and coating them in the glaze instead of sauce. I'm really getting into tea and would like to start cooking with it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here