Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fat up or down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fat up or down?

When smoking bacon does it matter if the fat is up or down?

No it shouldn't. However, since you have to choose one way or the other, what I'd do it place it as a buffer from the heat source. If the heat source is below and traveling upward, put the fat cap down. If you're using say a kettle with a Slow 'N Sear where most of the heat is above grate level, place it up.

Comment

Pork belly is pretty much all fat, well mostly. I assume you are asking about cured pork belly. When smoking a cured pork belly for bacon, you should not smoke it long enough for the fat to start rendering. Take it to 160F in the thickest part and you are good. So, if that's what yer doing, fat up or down don't matter.

Huskee was typing when I was. And he makes a good point. Seperate the meaty part from the heat.

Comment

Thank you very much for the quick replies. It's a WSM 22. Made bacon before on it just never thought much about it until I started cooking Berkshire. This belly seems to have more fat on it then previous bellies from other breeds, if you can believe it. It Christmas bacon! Merry Christmas!

Comment

• nickgutnick
          nickgutnick commented
          Editing a comment
          I was using Meatheads recipe.

You're on the right track. Merry Christmas!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here