Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timing at 275 for Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing at 275 for Ribs

Hey Folks,

I'm in charge of Christmas dinner this year and am doing 2 pork butts and 10 racks of St. Louis style spare ribs on the Lang 60. I've done more butts and ribs than I can count, but I've always done ribs using the 3-2-1 method at 225. I've done pork butts at 275 so no problem there.

I'm time limited for the day, so I'd like to do the whole shebang at 275. I'm expecting 8-12 hours for the pork butts but since I've never done the ribs at 275 so I'm curious how folks on this forum approach ribs at that temp in terms of modifying the 3-2-1. I've seen a lot of opinions elsewhere, but I trust the ones here more Normally I'd do a practice run but no time this year. I feel confident I can tell when the ribs are done, but I want to make sure I've spaced things properly so that there is adequate time on the pit while wrapped and they aren't overdone before I get a chance to let them sit on there with the sauce for a few.

So, TLDR - how do you modify the 3-2-1 method for cooking at 275?

Spares @ 275 will run approx 5.5 hrs. or so. Use 'bend test' or a toothpick to determine doneness. Myself, I wouldn't even bother wrapping - just run em' straight thru. This is an awesome cook, don't overthink it - just enjoy it! Merry Christmas ~ Tim

Comment

HackingBBQ ,I see in yer avatar that you have a digital thermo, do you use it on your rib cooks?
      If so, then the ITs previously noted/recorded can give you a good indication where they 'normally' average at your 3, your 2, and your 1.
      I have a nice Maverick 732 , have had for several months. Never been outta th' box yet.

I cook by look, smell, touch, feel, mostly. I do check clods when they get near done with an instant read, but ribs, I just cook.

You're only uppin' yer Lang's temps 50°; I really,really don't believe it will dramatically change your cook. Jus' check th' ribs a lil' sooner.
      You got this one already in th' bag, Amigo!

Comment

SoCalTim advice is what I would follow. I have done St. Louis ribs at 275 for an hour an a half and wrapped for an hour a half and they turned to mush.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Only thing is I'd start checking a 4.5 hours.

LA Pork Butt Agreed. I have never wrapped, mopped, spritzed, etc. any ribs. Just cooked them, check for bend when they start looking close to done. Works every time.

Comment

All good points. I've always had good luck wrapping and enjoyed the extra flavor from the things put in with the wrap but it is very dependent on that extra 30-60 minutes after to keep it from being mushy by drying out the exterior a tad in the open air. Might not be realistic for a slightly quicker cook. I've honestly never done ribs any other way than the 3-2-1 method at 225 but I've probably done a couple hundred that way. Truth be told, I probably am overthinking this and just need to trust my instincts better. A lot less mess and headache than dealing with the wrapping.

Comment

I cook ribs (and most everything else) at 250 +/- 25 degrees. I shoot for 250, which means my temp will tend to fluctuate from 235 to 265, normally. I never wrap ribs. As Mr. Bones says -- "cook 'me til they're done" :-)

Comment

I cook ribs in the 275+/- range quite often. I find that's where my stickburner is happiest. SLC ribs can take anywhere from 4-8 hours unwrapped. The thickness/weight of the slab will be a determining factor. If they're under 3 pounds, it could be anywhere from 4-6 hours. Above 3 pounds, then you start moving towards the 6-8 hour range. I hope that helps.

Comment

In my WSM, at 225-240, St. Louis Cut is 6 hours, sometimes a little more.

In the Jambo at around 275, I'm typically 5 to 5.5 or so hours.

In the Vault at 275, where I have just a handful of cooks, it's a little under 5 hours, but that is on only a handful of crooks.

So, moving from 225 to 275, I'd say it cuts 30 mins to an hour on the stickburner.

Comment

I've never used the 3-2-1 method. I've never wrapped a rack of ribs in my life. The weight of your racks will be the most telling element of your cook. You're going to be busy... forget wrapping them. They will cook fairly fast at 275°. Forget any thermometer with ribs, thats not a good judge because the bones are to close to where you put your probe in, you won't get an accurate reading. Just use the bend test that Meathead taught us all.

I buy my ribs at Costco... the 3 racks in a pack ones. They are usually about 3 pounds racks. At 225° they usually take me 7 hours. My bet at 275° a 3 pound rack, unwrapped will be done in 5 to 6 hours. You can wrap them and put them in a Cambro if they get done early though. Better to be to early than to be late though.😎

Comment

Since joining the pit, I've abandoned the 3-2-1 method totally, as too much work for such a minor return-on-effort. I now keep 'em at 250o(+/- 25) until they pass the bend test and haven't looked back.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                      PaulstheRibList commented
                      Editing a comment
                      #NeverWrappedRibsEver

I'm weird, I don't even put sauce on my ribs at the end of the cook. I put my rub on, I put 'em on the grill, and I let 'em cook until they bend right. Then I hold them in the oven for an hour at 170, if I have time for it. Then I serve them.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You surely meant "weren't brought up right". I never wrap or sauce either.

• Breadhead
                      Breadhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      EdF ... yep I meant weren't. Thanks for the heads up.👍

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I love my dry ribs. I think saucing them over shadows the flavor of the ribs, rub and smoke. I actually have never put sauce on ribs for anybody and no one has ever complained. :-)

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here