Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warming up frozen done Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warming up frozen done Q

Need some ideas please about how to warm up my frozen pork butt that I have already cooked without reducing its flavor. Have been warming it in a stove top pot with a little water in the bottom of the pot. Also the same in the microwave. The water always reduces the flavor. Don't have a vacuum sealer and don't want to get one. If you suggest using a zip lock plastic bag in boiling water, please comment on whether this is medically safe and whether the boiling water will melt the bag. Thanks much. Jim

I think the best way if it is whole would be a cold water bath, using ice to keep the temperature below 40 degrees and then when thawed, heat to serving temperature. Some just use cold water and change it often.

Comment

Are you letting the meat thaw first or just going straight to the pot? I try to let things thaw back out in the fridge on their own before reheating.

This is one of the reasons I wrap and/or boat my pork butts... I try to save the juice and can add it back into the pulled pork or put it in the containers or bags when it store or freeze it. That provides some moisture and natural flavor when reheating it.

For a thawed portion or two I tend to just microwave it in multiple short bursts (30 seconds or so) as opposed to minute+ runs.

For larger portions (if I don't have enough leftover juice from the cook) I may use a crock pot or roaster and stir in some sauce and a little bit of apple juice.

That being said heating up something that has been cooked and then frozen will often times reduce or have some sort of impact on the flavor. It is obviously not going to be as great as right off the cooker.

I'm wanting to get a vacuum sealer though and do the boiling water or SV.

As far as zip lock goes... I know a guy and their family christmas tradition includes making omelettes for breakfast. They setup an omelette bar and everyone puts their eggs and other ingredients in individual zip lock backs and throw them in a pot of water.... only way they can do that many at once... They are still living the last time I checked.

Here is the AR article on Freezing and Reheating Leftovers.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice

Are you asking about portions, or a whole butt?

Comment

a tub of cold water in the fridge will thaw it out quickly. Then you can keep it in the bag and put it in on the stove with hot water to bring it up to temp.

Comment

For reheated pork butt that's a little dry, I add some butter when I have no juices saved from the cook.

Comment

Try a crock pot with a little butter on the bottom. Minus Sous Vide, every way I have reheated ends up in a bit of moisture loss. To compensate, I have to add liquid, which does dilute the flavor a bit. To this, I add a bit of rub to the crock pot and/or a little BBQ sauce. For me, pork leftovers go onto something most of the time - rolls, in potato skins, over french fries etc. So I look for a particular flavor profile to compliment what I am serving. Example - on french fries I add some beans and cheese on top. So I will put a hotter sauce in with the pork. On a sandwich, If I'm putting slaw with vinegar in it, I will make sure that whatever sauce I am using to help reconstitute does not have too much vinegar. Without the slaw, I default to a vinegar sauce. I hope this helps, Jim.
            Last edited by tbob4; December 20, 2016, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I really like the Thrifyvac bags. They are heavy duty and food safe for use as sous vide bags, ( I emailed the company for that info). Putting meat sealed in bags in hot water, (above 140* for safety), is the best way I have found for reheating. Especially if it's pulled. As a side benefit, if you leave the bag of meat in the hot water for several hours, it will be even more tender.

I just put a pot of water on the stove and run it somewhere between low and medium to keep the temp where I want it. I do put a probe in the water to monitor temps. Anywhere between 140* and maybe 190* should be ok. I hope others will comment if they disagree with my temps.

The bags are on pages 2 and 3 of the inset product list.

BTW - their vacuum system is only $20, but it is manual - not electric. If you want to try your hand at vacuum sealing, this is a cheap way to get started.
              Last edited by RonB; December 20, 2016, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Jim here again (I started this). Thanks for everyone commenting above. I should have been more clear. I am talking about Butt that I pulled then packaged in 1/2 pound packages and froze. I thaw individual packages and then want to reheat it. Again, reheating in a pot or microwave with a little water make it loose flavor. Thanks again. Jim

Comment

• billg71
                  billg71 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wrap my pulled pork tightly in foil and throw it on the warming rack in the gasser at 325 for 20 minutes or so. You could do the same thing in the oven. The key to keeping it moist is keeping it sealed.

Jim Burgin take it and lightly spray it with apple cider or juice and wrap it in foil and put it in 275 F oven for 30-45 mins.

Comment

• bbqoaf
                  bbqoaf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, this is the best method, wrap in foil and oven at moderate temperature.

Jim, I believe DWCowles suggestion is spot on for the amount of food you are talking about. If you have to microwave, get a paper towel and wet it. Put the pulled butt meat on top of the wet paper towel. Follow DWCowles' trick by spraying the top with apple cider or juice, and cover with a wet paper towel. Microwave at full temp for 45 seconds and check to make sure things have heated evenly. I saw someone once post that they reserve the juices from the original cook and put that into the vessel before freezing making it moister (and likely less watery) when recooking. If your flavor profile of the original cook is sweet, you could also sprinkle a little brown sugar on top before microwaving.

Comment

In addition to the most excellent suggestions posted above, you might also consider trying using some broth, homemade, or commercially available, vs straight water. The flavour would be your choice....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here