Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snakeriver Farms Pork Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snakeriver Farms Pork Short Ribs

Hey Gang!
    I just received some Pork Short Ribs from Snakeriver Farms for my birthday! Yay me! Any prep advice other than dry brine, rub, smoke, sauce, EAT and DRINK?

Never had pork short ribs before. Cant find a clear definition of where they come from either.

Help me PIT!

I have no idea as to what a pork short rib is, but would like to be educated.

Comment

I saw those Korubuta short ribs and got really excited to try them! I would take them to 203' - since they have so much meat, you should be able to prove them fairly easily. I'd cook them like a beef shortie if you have cooked those before.
      i am too kind of stumped about where they come from, it may be on the upper end of the spare rib area closer to the spine.

You may also want to finish them in foil to let them braise/render.

Take lots of pics and show us how they turn out!!! Cheers

Comment

bellyrubbbq I'm by no means an expert, but if the bones are more round I would say they're cut from the Baby Back Ribs and if the bones are more flat then they're cut from the St. Louis Cut Ribs.

Comment

This is an interesting cut, and you almost never see a "Pork short rib". Here's my guess as to what you're getting - the equivalent cut of a beef short rib on a pig is the spare rib. Because beef short ribs are much thicker/meatier, I'm going to guess the SRF version of a pork short rib, is a sparerib with the belly attached to make it very thick. That sounds incredibly delicious smoked.

Pork belly has a tendency to have large streaks of fat, but sometimes not as much marbling, so might dry out if you go too high, though since this is SRF, and I'm guessing their Kurobuta (which is incredible), I don't think you'll have that problem.

If you take these up to 200, you'll probably have a more pulled pork consistency. If you pull in the 185 range, you'll probably be more like a rib like texture, tender with a bit of chew and pull to get off the bone. I'd go lower than 250 smoker temp because of the size (probably around 225), and try them at 180-185, or use whatever method you use for doneness of your ribs, unless you're looking for fall off the bone/pulled pork like consistency - which can be great for a well marbled pork belly, then try at around 200.

Comment

You gotta pic?

Comment

Are these what you have?

Add something new to your dinner table with our 100% Berkshire pork short ribs. They are meaty, juicy and extremely flavorful. Packed in a 2-pack, these are hand-cut and each weigh about one pound. Average weight: 2 lbs.

If so there's a few different cooking methods mentioned in the reviews of them. All very positive reviews, enjoy them!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks like spares (SLC) with the side pork (uncured bacon) still attached on the skin side. Ribs & bacon! How can you go wrong?

• Frenchy19
                Frenchy19 commented
                Editing a comment
                Those look awesome!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sribs start.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	252531Click image for larger version

Name:	Sribs fin.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	252532Click image for larger version

Name:	Sribs fin2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	252533

I put big poppa smokers easy money rub, let set for a couple of hours and then smoked on my GMG Jim Bowie about 250. Had to wrap after 3 hours because i needed my teenage daughter to manage the process of taking it up to 198 wrap in a bath towel and put in the igloo. I did not get the bark that i love on pork but the taste and tenderness of this is amazing. I agree with HorseDoctor that this is like spare rib with belly on top. It is incredibly tender and flavorful as the fat rendered down. I kept the sauce away mainly cause i couldnt manage things but the meat is delicious anyway.

thanks for all the input and hope you enjoy the photos!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here