Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Tenderloin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Tenderloin.

I don't think I like pork tenderloin. I cooked up a couple last night. Simple, just oil, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt ,pepper and garlic. Put a little water in the baking pan, and covered with foil until 137 IT. Seared quickly for the nice brown color. Hated it! Good flavor, but the texture was terrible! Did I cook it the wrong way?? It felt like eating wet clay almost? Is tenderloin normally that soft? Bleaaaaah!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.46 MB ID:	249157
    Not sure what you mean by "put water in baking pan, and covered with foil ". Sounds like you braised it?
    For me, pork tenderloin is hot and fast. Indirect on Weber, SnS running hot, internal 140 take it off.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; December 10, 2016, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Was it frozen first? I really like tenderloin but noted this summer that for the first time I froze it, thawed it and then took it to the smoker. I had the same 'mushy" experience. It was such a textural issue that I did not make another tenderloin for the rest of the summer. I typically make a stuffed tenderloin. I smoke them hot and without a water pan.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure if it was frozen first. It was sold in a cryovac two pack. I was kind of in a hurry, so I didn't look up how cook it. I have another one; I will try the indirect rather than braising.
        Last edited by Thunder77; December 10, 2016, 09:11 PM. Reason: Typos.

I agree with the above. Best cooked indirect hot & fast on a grill, dry heat, seared to 140-150 IMO.

Comment

Best tenderloin for me was cured and smoked at 325 until 145 internal.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Cured like for bacon, Jerod?

Another treatment I really like is cutting into medallions, coat with a butter/salt/pepper paste, and a cook over direct coals.

I prefer this with a medium bed of coals (not too concentrated, not right under the meat), and cook to around that 135-145 area.

Comment

We broke down a 9lb tenderloin into roughly 1.25 pound sections and vacuum sealed all but 1. That 1 BF cooked in the oven. Rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic, a little beer. Oven set at 350F. Cover and bake for 45 min. Uncover and continue baking to internal temp of 145F. Then it was sliced, piled onto a hoagie roll (Amoroso's) with sauteed rabe, topped with sharp provalone, and toasted to melt the cheese.

As for freezing, we haven't had a problem with it. We buy them on sale (this past one I got for $1.29/lb) and freeze.

Comment

I usually smoke 'em til near 130º-135º, then sear to 140º~ish IT, sometimes after cutting part into medallions...searing all regardless.

Texture=pretty comparable to very nice pork chops, no 'gooshyness'...(texture-wise, HATE 'gooshy' meat, in my foodchain)

Loves me some tenderloin!

Mine usually have been frozen, no textural issues due to that have been noted, thus far.

Comment

Sometimes pork tenderloin is injected, like from Hormel, and in my experience causes mushiness unless you pan fry them. But I could be wrong.

Comment

I just did two pork tenderloins last weekend, and my wife declared them the best thing that has come off the BGE so far. Since tenderloin is relatively lean and can use a flavor boost, I wrapped them in BACON! Cooked indirect at 225 grate temp until 138 IT, let them rest while I took the Egg up to 500, and crisped up the bacon. They were so good that she decided that I wanted to do two more today. The Egg is starting up now.
                Last edited by Yno; December 11, 2016, 11:30 AM. Reason: Because sometimes I just can't type!

Comment

• lschweig
                  lschweig commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Everything goes better with bacon!

• Atalanta
                  Atalanta commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Homer: Bacon up that sausage, boy!
                  Bart: But, Dad, my heart hurts!

Pork and bacon - a match made in hog heaven!

Comment

I sear mine first , Quarter turn every 5 min then take temp down to 250. Finish to 140. Glaze and serve. Rec Tec has a video on strawberry glaze pork tenderloin and that thing is delicious!! Have made quite a few.

Comment

I love tenderloin. Butterfly with a mustard brown sugar sauce in the middle, wrap in bacon, tie it up. Indirect cook at 325*. Delicious 😋

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here