Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

boston butt for party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boston butt for party

Hey guys. I started 2 boston butts this morning at 7:15 am on BGE. Cooked at about 235 deg until 2:00 pm. butts were around 162 deg. I wrapped in foil. At 5:00 the butts were around 190 deg and my grill temp was down to 210 (and i am out of charcoal). I need to leave my house with the butts at 6:45 pm so I brought them inside and put in oven at 300 deg to finish. 1st butt just came out of oven at 203 6:15. butt 2 still at 195. You guys think speeding the cook at the end will affect anything?

No... I have finished butts at a much higher temp than that and I have cooked some around that temp all the way through... Not much noticeable difference in quality.... Unfortunately because you are pressed for time it doesn't look like you will have much of a chance to hold them in a faux cambro though...... I find letting them go in a cambro or holding them in the oven for a while always helps with bigger cuts of meat like that.

Comment

Nope, I do it alllllllllllll the time. With briskets too. NO FEAR!

Comment

No, unless you've wrapped it, in which case you're bark will be softened.

you do what you have to, IMHO

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          If ya got bark it will bounce back no problem. I always wrap to speed things up.

Wrappin ain't cheatin!

Comment

they are both in my yeti and wrapped. not too worried about the bark since it will be pulled anyway. the party starts at 7:00, so they will probably rest for full hr before pulled. They smell great. The Memphis Dust rub is always a hit at my house. will take a photo and post later.

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds great... Good luck and enjoy!

jmoss2008

I do it alla th' time, as well. 300º won't faze those butts one bit, even if ya haveta do it at yer destination. You Got This!

It will still be th' best BBQ most folks there have ever tasted, an' they'll tell you so...

And, from what I've gleaned from your post, you (therefore we) have all learned from this cook. Win, win!

"Merrily, We Roll Along..."

Comment

If worse comes to worst, you can always offer a choice between pulled and chopped if one them doesn't pull easily enough. Flavor is what people want more than anything else.

Comment

forgot to take pics, but both butts were terrific. And yes, the pulled pork was a hit last night at the party. I love amazingribs.com. The recipes never disappoint.

Comment

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad to hear it turned out great and that those eating it enjoyed it.... Congrats... now you will probably be getting asked to do it more.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here