Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butting in before the snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butting in before the snow

i had to get one more smoke in this year and we are expecting ~8 inches tonight into tomorrow. 2 pork butts > 5lbs each. dry brined on thursday, MMHD on friday, woke up at 6am today to start them with hickory

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161210_062340.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	249017
    dark and snowy

Name:	20161210_062355.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	249016

stacked in the snow & waiting to go

currently at 181 with a smoker ~260. interesting thing i tried with my thermometers (now that i have 2) this time was to take the grate temp at both levels and the top grate was 20 degree's warmer than the one below it.

so this smoke is a little experiment for me. one of the butts i am going to do like normal and after shredding i am going to sprinkle in some additional MMHD to boost up the flavor. the OTHER butt i cut 2 big gashes in and put a bunch of MMHD and tied it back up. i want to see which way i like better.

either way i'm sure it will be good!

Nice! Those will be tasty with all the time & TLC you've put into them. I like adding more rub to the pulled pork too, the interior meat rarely gets much flavor besides cooked pork, even on small butts. I did a 12lb (three 4lbers) butt cook couple days ago to last through the weekend and to have some to vacuum pack & freeze, was on sale $1.29/lb.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      with cheap beer too 😂

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      DWCowles I have discerning tastes

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      a few glasses of whiskey were consumed to please the BBQ gods

at 196 & 198....those last 7-5 degree's sure do take along time!

Comment

Sounds like I'd proudly eat either chunk of meat. I'm curious if the slashes you cut and put dust in turn out mushy and gooey in that area after being tied up. Let us know!

Comment

they might turn gooshy but i didn't load it up like a crazy person.

so the first one is done, the one without slashes. i added some MMHD to it and it really does kick the flavor up a bit. i am looking forward to having it tomorrow after the rub has a chance to soak into the meat more. either way, had a sammich. when the next one is done another sammich shall be eat'd

Name:	20161210_191455.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	249178
        my beautiful meteorite

Name:	20161210_192326.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	249180
        the bone came right out

Name:	20161210_192232.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	249179
        pulled like a dream

Comment

• Black99vette
          Black99vette commented
          Editing a comment
          That's some nice looking bark. Dang I'm hungry now.

Beautiful

Comment

Great lookin' PB cook, cain't wait t' learn more about th' second one!!!

Comment

Gorgeous!

Comment

Super fun!

Comment

so second one came out.

here is what i learned and i'm sure most of it will be obvious:
                1) the "post sprinkle" or the first one had a more consistent "extra" flavor. this shouldn't be a surprise. it also has the advantage of being seasoned to taste right there since you can add in more if you feel it needs it. the downside to me was that the extra flavor, right away, tastes like raw MMHD which is fine if you want that but i didn't quite prefer it all the time. my wife preferred it and it certainly was less work in the long run. the REAL test will be tomorrow after everything has settled and the rub has a chance to dissolve a little and blend in with the meat better.

2) the "slasher" one was more work and you had to pull the strings out when pulling it. the spots in between the cuts didn't caramelize (and i didn't think it would) BUT the flavors were fantastic. the rub did get a little slushy in there but as you pull the shoulder it gets mixed in and you don't notice it. as opposed to the first one not every bite had the "extra flavor" but it was frequent enough that it made itself known. my slashes were about 2 inches apart and i might do it again with them closer next time. i actually preferred the flavor of this one quite a bit since the rub had all day to melt and cook and influence the adjacent meat. the flavors were more mature and to me it had more of the "come back for more" flavor i strive for.

3) they both cooked the same and pulled to the same consistency. the second one took longer just because it was on my top rack and that rack always takes longer on my "baby's first smoker" by mattel...er....masterbuilt

so TOMORROW i will be testing out flavors. tonight is bad for the cook to test it since i have been smelling it and getting immune to a certain extent. if they come out being about the same i will certainly be doing the post-sprinkle one from now on since it is less work. if i still prefer the second one that may be my new go to thing and i might experiment with slash separation. heck, i might just have to experiment with that just as an excuse.

so pictures... my wife started pulling it (haw haw) before i got my meteorite shot since she was hungry and i cut her off from the first one (otherwise we wouldn't be hungry enough to compare)

Name:	20161210_201121.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	249215
                had to stop her for this one. you can see how the in-between rub is more of a brown-red on the left hand side

Name:	20161210_201205.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	249216
                clean bone on this one as well

Name:	20161210_201555.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	249217
                i love these experiments! both turned out great and i would definitely make either one again

Comment

i also forgot: they took 13 and 14 hours at 260-ish

Comment

Looks great! I hack & slash mine pretty good too, I trim fat from them quite aggressively so they get slashes & gouges from that. I too add rub in all the crevices. I also hear you on the "smelling it and getting immune". I call that BSO, barbecue sensory overload. It will taste better tomorrow, I promise!

Comment

What is MMHD?

Comment

• lschweig
                        lschweig commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Meathead's Memphis Dust

• Thunder77
                        Thunder77 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's what I thought, but I never had seen that abbreviation before. Just MMD

yeah maybe i am throwing an extra H in there with the MMD or something.

So having tried it i still like the slasher one. the post-sprinkle still tastes a bit like raw MMD. maybe when re-heated it will be better but at this point i am doubting it. it's still quite good but i prefer it the other way.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here