Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prague Powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prague Powder

Hey guys, can Morton tender quick be substituted for prague powder #1? wanna do a ham and don't have easy access to #1.

Thanks

I wouldn't substitute Tender Quick for #1 Pink Curing salt. Tender quick is a curing salt, but contains Nitrates and Nitrites. I would highly recommend reading the article by Meathead. If you were to use Tenderquick, the cure time would have to be adjusted. I just wouldn't mess with it since You can find Prague Powder on Amazon.

Meathead article:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/my_in...n_of_salt.html

Prague Powder:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=29NKKZ17U6XFR
    Last edited by Shane Rakow; December 4, 2016, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Tender quick is 0.5% sodium nitrate, 0.5% sodium nitrite and 99% salt. Prague Powder #1 is 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% salt. They cannot be substituted. If you really want to use Tender Quick, follow the Morton instructions exactly.

Comment

For about $30 I bought 5lbs at amazon.com. At the rate of a 2-3 teaspoons per cure I think I have a lifetime supply!

Comment

• Shane Rakow
          Shane Rakow commented
          Editing a comment
          I can get 1lb bags of #1 for $3 a bag. I have to drive 45 miles to get it though

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a heckuva price. I live over an hour from any decent sized town that might have prague powder so it's way more economical for us to order on amazon. Just type a few characters into this electric box and in a few days stuff magically appears on our doorstep. Pure wizadcraft.

• Shane Rakow
          Shane Rakow commented
          Editing a comment
          Unfortunately, I have found this wizadcraft to be much too easy!

Ok, my problem is that I don't live in the states so have to import. I bought a good set a while ago but over time it lost the pink tinge so just looks like regular salt now. Can I still use it or it won't get the meat oink any longer?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          The pink tinge is so that you don't mix it up with regular salt. It is the nitrite that fixates the meat to the pink color.

• Shane Rakow
          Shane Rakow commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang, Jerod, we tied. If I didn't have to holler at the dog, I would have beat you to the comment!

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Shane Rakow Not a problem. Verification is key.

The pink coloration has nothing to do with making your meat pinkish like ham. The pink color in #1 Prague powder is a color additive that is required in the USA to help with the identification between plain salt, and curing salt. I'm not sure how old your curing salt is, but I have never had an issue with it being over age, nor, ineffective.

Comment

Oh brilliant, however it did expire in the middle of last month but I'll still give it a try. So glad I decided to post on this group.

Thanks!

Comment

• Shane Rakow
            Shane Rakow commented
            Editing a comment
            From what I have researched, #1 Pink Curing Salt is stable for nearly an indefinite period of time, as long as it is kept dry, and impurity free. Perhaps, some could be sent to you if the shipping costs aren't too outrageous. My cost is $3 per 1lb bag on my last visit to the store.

• Baje
            Baje commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea i can get most anything off amazon shipped here but just didnt want to go through the hassle. Thanks for your help.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here