Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston butt, pork shoulder, pork butt etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston butt, pork shoulder, pork butt etc

Hi everyone,
    I recently purchased what i thought was a pork butt from a small southern illinois butcher. Got a great deal and had him ship me two. Im getting kind of worried because they showed up at 22 and 24 pounds. Everything i have read on this site so far has a pork butt coming in around 7-12 pounds. is it possible the picnic is still connected to the pork butt. The package reads "whole boston butt". Currently defrosting one of them for a friendsgiving to go into the smoker for some of meatheads famous pulled pork. Is there a difference between boston butt, pork shoulder and pork butt and should i quarter it to make cooking easier?

Most likely have the whole shoulder.

Comment

I agree with Jerod Broussard. I have smoked the whole thing before low and slow, it will be fine. If you want more bark then cut in half, thirds, quarters... whatever. Your cook time will depend on the thickest portion of the cut. In other words, it will take about the same amount of time whole as it will cut in half. At any rate, the picnic portion is a bit leaner than the butt end with the blade bone in it. Just pull or chop it all together and it will be yummy I'm sure.

Comment

Welcome BeerNBBQ

Comment

#thatsalotofpork

Welcome to The Pit BeerNBBQ! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa

Comment

Thank you for the quick responses and thank you for the welcome. Bought meathead's book without knowing about this site. Glad i did. It has helped me fall in love with bbq and smoking. Will be around for a long time.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              I would get that dude as barked up as you can get it. Welcome to The Pit!!

might take a few days to defrost...
            Attached Files

Comment

The crease in the package (and different textures meeting there) makes me think you've got 2 pieces, but I could be wrong.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Could very well be. They mirror each other with one a tad larger.

Yup, looks like a "2 pack". That's the way processors commonly cryopack them. Great price!

Comment

The 2 pack's I get from Costco have the bone removed.

Comment

fuzzydaddy I agree with you. They look like the twin butt packs I buy with two 10# plus butts.

Comment

The defrost is in... 2 pork butts frozen solid and wrapped in one package. Bone in. Worked out great

Comment

I agree with that being a 2-fer. GREAT price. Better plan on inviting the whole damn block over when you cook even one of those bad boys.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here