Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt went in the little grill at 5:30 AM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt went in the little grill at 5:30 AM

I have done a lot of pulled beef so I thought I would do some pulled pork for a change, hope its done by 6:30 PM. It's not for dinner, I just want to get it in the cooler for an hour or 2 & pulled before bed time. Do any of you wrap pork after the stall? sense I have not done a butt before I though I should ask.
    Dave

I always do. I wrap after the stall at or near ~180 or when that brown/red meets black bark is looking just right. The longer cambro hold you give it the better!

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, Thanks, If its late getting done how about leaving it overnight, I wrap in a towel & pack the cooler above, below,& around with towels to fill the cooled all the way?
      Dave

To answer your comment (too long for comment box's character limit) You'd probably be ok. I like to preheat my cooler with straight hot bath water. Helps a lot I think vs adding meat to a 70degree cooler. You really don't want the meat dipping below 140, so might I suggest leaving a temp probe in the meat with an alarm set at 145 or 140. Then if it gets low, you can pop it into a 170 degree oven, or whatever your oven will go down to, for a couple hrs. Then once the meat rises again, you can re-cambro it if you want. I have bobbed back & forth like this many times, and the pulled pork only seems to get better the longer I do it. My last big cook for a grad party I did that for a total of 30 hrs meat-on-heat and it was ridiculously tender & juicy, and those were frozen butts to begin with!

Comment

You could leave it in a warm oven over night. Just set the oven to the min temp, (normally around 170*).

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I do this all th time, butt in a foil pan, with tightly sealed foil wrap over it to retain moisture.
        Like Huskee said, only gets better! :-) I do this whole, btw, not pulled.

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks but I live in an RV & my oven is not worth using for any thing but the storage of pans ect.
        Dave

Another thought - do you have a heating pad? Maybe set it on low and put it in the bottom of the cooler with towels and the meat on top. That should keep the temp from dropping too low, but I'm not sure how hot it would get.

Comment

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB, I don,t have one, don't know if I could run it overnight as I am strictly on solar & already run a freezer that cycles abut every 15 min. or so. I have a large bank of batteries but would have to check the draw on the pad. but it's a good idea.
        Dave

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        great thought!

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB, Huskee, I did some checking & heating pads are not allowed to go over 176* on high. So MCS I will be getting 1 soon. Thanks for the idea.
        Dave

You could always go old school and heat up some rocks around your camp fire and pack them in your cooler with the meat.

Comment

How big of a butt is it? If you put it on at 5:30 this morning you should have pleny of time to cook it, cambro it and pull it. Unless of course you go bed real early or the butt is an absolute monster.

Comment

• Darchie03
          Darchie03 commented
          Editing a comment
          Not that big it was done by 4:PM
          Dave

Got any photos of the butt, or after you pulled it? I'm hungry and looking at some pulled pork would be great!

Comment

• Darchie03
          Darchie03 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry it was late when I pulled it I did not get the camera out. (I guess that means it didn't happen) Oh well.
          Dave

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          No problem Darchie03. Did you "sample" some, and how was it? I always eat some bark, often before everyone else gets their hands on it.

• Darchie03
          Darchie03 commented
          Editing a comment
          I did sample it & the bark but I don't think it is as good as the pulled beef that I make, maybe I did something wrong, not sure or maybe I just like the beef better.
          Dave

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here