Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aaron Franklin ruined my ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaron Franklin ruined my ribs.

Well, not exactly, but I thought they were good until I ate ribs at Franklin BBQ. The ribs I cook are not dry - they are moist. But the ribs we had at Franklin were juicy and a bit more tender. There is also a difference in the flavor profile, but that's a matter of preference.

So what are the differences?

I've been smoking at 225* for years, but upped the temp to 250* the last time I smoked ribs. Franklin smokes at 275*.
    We both use a dry rub and spritz.
    Franklin smokes to a nice color and then wraps. I've never wrapped.
    Franklin uses a thin sauce and adds it about 15 min before wrapping while I use Sweet Baby Ray's about 30 min before the end of the cook. I normally wind up caramelizing under the broiler when I pull them off.
    I don't let mine get as tender as Franklin because I worry about the ribs drying out.

Conclusion? I'm going to give Franklin's method a try next time. Any suggestions about the SBR, (Sweet Baby Ray's), - should I thin it before wrapping the ribs. If so, what would you use to thin it? I will still apply some full strength before serving, and will also caramelize.

If you thin sbr's, it would depend on your flavor profile. You could thin with apple juice or even a little vinager. Pineapple and on and on. Sky's the limit. I would make a little thinned (1/4 cup) and taste it and see what you would like. Then make a bigger batch. I like using sbr's on my burnt ends of briskets

Comment

I had the same thing happen when we ate at Dinosaur in Syracuse.

The more we know the more we can figure out what to do when faced with differences and challenges, and I figured out pretty quickly what I liked better about Dinosaur's ribs, and how to implement that into my next cook. It looks to me like you've done the same!

i might suggest mixing up a batch of Meathead's KC style sauce. It's thinner than most bottled sauces, and it mixes well with them if you are used to the flavor profile of SBR. But I will tell you that every single person who has tried it unmixed has raved about it, so there's that.

Comment

I have used apple juice and/or beer before to thin SBR.... when I used beer I also put some brown sugar back into the mix.... It turned out fine.

My competition ribs I have been trying some different things with. I usually use Blues Hog.... My wife likes it when I blend Original (thick sweet) with Tennessee Red (thinner vinegar base).... Makes it a bit thinner and creates a sweet tangy balance kind of...

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones , sometimes I sauce and sometimes I don't .... I don't like a real thick coating of it when I do but enough to color and give a little flavor.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Nate ,Sounds like a great mix, what ratio are you using between th' two Blues Hogs, if I may ask? I have both, it will give me a starting point.

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones , about a 50/50 (I usually eye ball it) and adjust to taste from there then mix it up good. More original if you want sweet and more red if you want a bit tangier.Sometimes I will mix and heat it.

Franklin also does not use digital thermometer probes next to his ribs, he uses the dial gauges on his lid and calls it good. Is he really smoking at 275 where the ribs are? This is what we'd like to know! I suppose after all this time he's used them, at least once, to gauge his temps, but he never says it. My last rib cook the other day I averaged 250-260 and the texture was much softer. Can't say I liked it better or worse, just different.

Comment

I've done a couple of batches of short ribs lately and thought they were every bit as good as Franklin's or Black's. I used choice ribs from the megamart (they sold me whole plates),,, cut 'em into two rib sections, rubbed with BBBR, and took 'em to internal 203°F on a Weber Kettle/SaS combo run between 225°F-250°F. After eating the STUNNINGLY good ribs at Black's some months ago, I was super pleased with mine. Maybe in a side-by-side test, I'd come to a different conclusion. I think short ribs are da bomb. You can do this!!!

BTW, I felt Black's outdid Franklin, plus--no wait (we did arrive at 11 AM-ish). Good sides at Black's, too.

Comment

Aaron Franklin uses the BBQ force, he strong in this force, and it works.

Comment

Thanx all for the suggestions and comments. I do know one thing - whatever I do, it will be fun.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here