Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first pulled pork on Sunday, need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's one good looking butt. I think you have succeeded despite all the challenges thrown at you.

Comment

Despite the butt finishing after a mere 5 hours, it didn't taste wrong. Though, after the weight loss from cooking, it weighed a mere 996 grams when ready to pull! That's only 1.6 pounds of meat! It pulled apart easily, it wasn't undercooked or anything. I even got to rest it 1.5 hours in the faux cambro before pulling. A couple of niggles, though.

Niggle #1: The pork could have really used a sauce. I've often heard that good pulled pork doesn't need a sauce. This pulled pork's flavor would have been enhanced by a splash of sauce. It just lacked a bit of pizzazz. The flavor was too understated, it needed to jump out and slap you in the face.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	237364

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	237363

Those are large, professional sporks. And that's all the pulled pork, all 1.6 pounds of it.

Niggle #2: The pork was lost in the big soft brioche bun. Despite advice that everyone needed 200g meat, that wasn't happening. I used 100g meat for the first one and it was falling off the bun. The others I used 70g meat and that seemed to stay on without falling off. Top it with creamy cole slaw and it was fine. BUT there was just too much soft bread for the meat. I think the plain old hamburger buns or white bread would have worked better in this case.

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	237362

That's 70g meat on a toasted brioche bun.

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	237359

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	237361

Niggle #3: I spent so long pulling and serving the pork, and toasting the buns, that the charcoal burned down and I was late putting the chicken on. When the charcoal burns down, it turns to dust and clogs the bottom of the SnS. It cuts off the flow of oxygen and puts out the wood. I have to really shake it loose and push it down into the Weber Deluxe ash tray. When this happens, I lose all continuity of the fire and have to completely start over and relight it from scratch. I can't just add more coals on top of the lit coals, that ain't happening.

The chicken took forever to cook. A couple of thighs got to 165 and could come off, but honestly I ran out of charcoal. At that point I took them off and told the bar cook to finish them in the oven. He turned on the broiler and oven simultaneously. I gave him my Thermopop and told him to bring the chicken out when it hit 180F. I was just tired at this point and kind of past caring.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	237365

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	237358

Wow, amazing. Best chicken thighs ever. The skin was a single horny cuticle. I tried and tried to finish this way on the grill. I understand now to pull the chicken at 155 or so and finish it in the oven. Best crispy outside ever. A huge difference. It got rave reviews. It was the oven that did it. It really did a number on the skin.

Another successful cook! Problems, problems, eh whatever. Comes with the territory. Thanks to everyone who helped! I wouldn't have been able to do it without you. The best part is, as usual, everyone thinks I'm a super-genius for cooking like this. I didn't do diddly! All I did was follow the recipe and take advice from the Council of Masters. Hurrah for amazingribs.com!
      Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on the cook. Looks good. You learn something new and a little more each time. As far as the pork needing something... You may just need to try a different rub. I love meatheads Memphis dust on ribs and chicken but prefer Chris Lilly's rub for pulled pork.

Big thing is you tried it, you survived it, turned out some good Q, and exposed another culture to some American style Q. Kudos and well done!

Comment

What an amazing story of a cook against nearly all possible odds! Many thanks for sharing!
          xiè xie
          谢谢
          謝謝

Bonesy

Comment

• Lost in China
            Lost in China commented
            Editing a comment
            不用谢

Great thread and fun to follow. Congratulations on the cook and the "Super Genius" title!

Comment

A well deserved congrats on pulling off this challenging cook.

Comment

Great job and perseverence paid off! The only advice I could possibly offer for the future is it appears by the looks of your saw that it is a hacksaw made for cutting metal. They don't work well at all on wood.

I just looked again, definately a hacksaw blade on that saw frame.

Comment

• Lost in China
                Lost in China commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I know. It was all I had. Frankly I was lucky to even stumble on a source of apple wood. The saw was the least of my worries. I'm constantly having to make do with what's available.

Super Genius

One of my favorites!

(I like the way that rolls out!)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here