Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do fresh ribs last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long do fresh ribs last

Hey all. I'm looking to do some ribs over thanksgiving weekend. I'm hoping to get some fresh ribs from restaurant depot. My question is - How long will cryovac sealed ribs last in the fridge before I have to cook them? I'm asking this because I don't have any time off work nearing that weekend. I will probably have to buy them about 10 days before the cook. Should they still be good? Any advice? I really don't want to freeze them. Thanks. Steve

My first thought if there is no use or freeze by date in the package then that could be a little long, to be safe I would freeze and then thaw in an ice bath when I was ready to prepare-cook them.

Comment

I go with my mom's old advice - meat is good for 5 days from the "sell by date". If you can't use them before that, freeze them. I prep, rub, then vacuum pack and freeze. With the brining processes for meat preservation on this site there are likely better answers than mom's but it's still the general rule I live by.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        That seems pretty reasonable. I generally go by the "smell by" date, but that's always too late if you missed it.

As I recall being taught, Beef gets better with age under the right conditions, but Chicken and Pork are "rotting" the moment they are butchered, and you have no leeway on those package dates.

Comment

Fresh ribs last just a few minutes until I devour them. Oh, that's not your question!

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          After there cooked I agree.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here