Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are using the Primo Oval. I have seen it posted on this site that some folks who cook their butts on their ceramic cookers at a higher temp than those of us on metal smokers do, thus avoiding the length of time in the stall. The advantage, as I understand it, is that with the ceramic cooker, you can count on the temp holding at that higher temp without the fear of it swinging up too high. Refer to this thread: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...153-turbo-cook

Comment

Hi Stembot. I smoke pork butts pretty often on an Egg. They are usually about 8 pounds and approx. 5"-6" thick. I run em at 250 at the grate (Maverick 732). Mine normally get to about 140 and stall for about 6-7 hours. They will take off again to about 155-160, stall again, and sometimes even go back to 144-145 before finally climbing SLOWLY to 203 IT where I like em. My cook time is always about 17 hours (no water pan). The first time I used a water pan it increased my cook time to 24 hours, needless to say, no more water pan for me when cooking PB's on Miss Egg !!

Comment

So my little 5lb boneless shoulder roast hit 201 at 11 hours. Glad I got up early to get it started because it was awesome, IMHO.

Comment

i once did a 2 lb butt-chunk that took me 16 hours to cook until 203 at 225. i have done 9lb butts that took 24 hours. it sounds like around 8 hours you hit the stall which is fairly common for me.

Comment

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
            i once did a 2 lb butt-chunk that took me 16 hours to cook until 203 at 225. i have done 9lb butts that took 24 hours. it sounds like around 8 hours you hit the stall which is fairly common for me.
            I'm a patient guy but 24 hours to me seems like an excessively long time for a 9lb butt and I'm not sure I could handle it... What were you using to cook it?

Not doubting you but I have just never had them go that long on my stick burner or pellet cooker... 12 hours is about the longest I have had to go for one that size. I'm just curious.

Comment

• Dale Case
              Dale Case commented
              Editing a comment
              You asked DeusDingo but I have similiar results as well. I've had 7-8 pounders go 17 hours+ and one go 24 hours. On all cooks I use BGE at 250F grate with Mav 732. IT to 203. The one that went 24 only thing different was I used a big foil pan 3/4 full of water. I will never do that again !!

Nate i have a cheap masterbuilt gas smoker and the thing was leaky as all get out. when i started i was very adamant about my cooking temps only being 225 but when the wind blew a lot of the heat got sucked out of it. it took FOREVER to smoke anything in that thing. i'm much more relaxed about the temps now and i usually try to keep it between 250 and 275. my times got more down to earth (after adding a lot of gasket and caulking in addition)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here