Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you carve up your ribs for serving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sure didn't know slicing ribs was rocket science. If it is than I'm a very smart man.😂 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0180.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	234204

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mr. Bones I hope I get the expert 🙄 approval

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      Super pretty!!!

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks PaulstheRibList your ribs are beautiful as always

Ribs are pretty pretty! #AmazingRibs
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Best Ribs Ever - Smaller Size.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	234215
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9647.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	234216

Comment

• GBA
      GBA commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice Damascus knife!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Indeed!

I always cut along the bone, pick up each rib(which now only has meat on one side) and chow away. Did not realize a "shined" was a bad thing.

Comment

I also like cutting along the bone. That puts the max amount of meat on the side with meat - and I ain't competin' with anyone but myself. Come to think of it, I've never had a complaint about how I slice the ribs either. And I only slice a few bones at a time in case there are leftovers. I think they hold moisture better if uncut.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Well said sir.. That is how I cut them at home too and for the same reason.

Everything said above is right on point! I do have a trick that I use when cutting bone side up. On your holding hand (for me that's my left), hold the ribs with your index finger on the top bone and your thumb on the bottom bone. That way you won't hit bone with your knife, which needs to be super sharp. I've tried electric knives and I don't like them. Give me a sharp knife and I can cut!

Comment

If you are looking for slicing perfection, you can use a bench knife as a guide to get that perfect cut. (AR link)

Comment

Most common thread in almost all of the serious answers above is "Sharp knife"!

Comment

JPGators17 , the reason I asked for a little more clarity is because myself and a few other guys I know cut different based on the situation. Despite some folks thinking it is a simple question and that a simple answer qualifies them as a very smart person, there is obviously a little more than simple thought that goes into it with some people as you can see from the answers... bone up, bone down, standing up, meat on both sides, meat on one side, etc... Everyone has there own way and reasons...

For instance myself and a couple other guys I compete with/against have a couple different ways that we cut for competition depending on the number of portions I need to turn in and the quality of the final product. I also make sure to position the rib so I don't mess up the parts that will be showing in the box. I mentioned this in an earlier reply on this post. Keeping in mind too that appearance is usually the lowest or one of the lowest weighted categories in judging.

If I'm cooking for a group of people that for some reason I am trying to impress (nicer party or something like that) then I try to make a nicer looking cut than if it is just me eating.

Based on your earlier reply to me of cutting them at home for some friends and family... then my philosophy on that is: who cares as long as the meat taste good.... but my personal preference, as a few others mentioned, is to cut along the bone on one side leaving meat only on one side... the reason being: I like the bigger meatier bite.

I have never had a rib sent back because it wasn't cut right.... i'm sure you won't either... So go with what you and your family like and don't worry about it being the wrong way because I'm not sure there is a 100% right way.

As far as a knife... personally i just prefer a sharp boning knife like a Rapala... I'm not big on the electric knife for ribs.

Comment

Never gave it much thought. I generally cut them into 4 rib pieces and let people grab the size they want. They can handle the artistry to their own satisfaction.

Comment

This is why I'll never do a competition. I just pull out the bones, and eat it. No knife required.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here