Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ham curing temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ham curing temp

I'm starting the research phase, which includes finding the meat, of curing a ham. Let me start by saying I will be following Meatheads recipe to the letter, mainly because I trust him and docblonder However, I found this passage at http://schmidling.com/ham.htm which says,

"The brine should be cooled to around 40F before the meat is placed in it. It should also be kept near that temperature during the brining period ... Do not let it get below about 38F though because the cure ceases to function around there. Monitor the brine temp with a thermometer and just remove it for a while if it gets too cold."

Now this page has some other differences in technique, like smoking at 130F for 24 hours (danger zone) that I am ignoring.

I cured bacon from Meatheads recipe, and it was great, nice and pink, excellent flavor. That bacon recipe says to keep a temperature of 34F to 38F.

My ONLY question is about this claim Schmidling makes about the cure ceasing to function below 38F. Your thoughts please?

Sounds like a great question for Meathead, and Dr. Blonder! My fridge is a solid 35F all day long, and I have never had an issue with curing ham, and bacon using any of the curing recipes from Meathead.
    Last edited by Shane Rakow; October 21, 2016, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Time to throw the BS flag. Brine doesn't "cease to function" curing below 38 degrees. It may(?) penetrate a little slower at colder temperatures but it certainly continues to function as a cure. Leave it in the brine an extra day or two if you're concerned that your fridge is too cold. Good luck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here