Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Curing Calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Curing Calculator

Dr. Blonder has written a cool new Excel spreadsheet for calculating how much Prague Powder #1, water, and time you need if you plan to cure meats. It is on this page http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ing_meats.html

I was taking a look at your recipe for bacon in the "Tested Recipes" section. Does it reflect the proportions with Dr. Blonders new curing calculation? Would have sworn that it previously called for 1/4 cup of distilled water versus the 1 cup it now specifies.

Comment

Meathead ,
    This may be more appropriate as a comment on the main site, but I don't have a disqus account, so I'll post my question here. I was playing around with the above introduced cure concentration calculators, and got different answers from the "Standard" and "Metric" versions. So I looked at the calculations, and think that the metric version bases sodium nitrite concentration on the weight of water plus half the meat weight. But the standard version appears to base the concentration on the weight of water plus meat. Am I missing something?

Comment

Completely lost now. I have a pork butt curing now using the Meathead wet-cure ham recipe. It's supposed to cure for 7 days. 7 lb roast. 4 inches thick. 3 gallons distilled water. 20 oz kosher salt. 3 tbsp prauge powder. Calculator comes up with 2.5 tbsps prauge powder for a 20 day cure. Not sure what is going on, but these conflicting numbers have me wondering what kind of FrankenPork I have going on in the fridge.

Comment

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        I checked my recipe against Greg's calculator and it is well within the recommended range. I did change the bacon recipe, however.

Hi everyone-- This new calculator uses my latest experiments in diffusion of curing salts in meat. Make sure you use the pull-down menu to indicate whether the thickness you enter is for a flat or a cylinder (like a ham or butt).

Don't be surprised if the output is off by 10-20% from other recipes. This is a small effect, and well within the margin of error for real meat in the real world. The diffusion rate of sodium nitrite varies for pork and beef and how fatty the meat is. The weight of a tbs of curing salt depends on how well you pack the often tacky and moist salt. So no one answer is "perfect". However, the metric and english versions should not disagree by much (rounding errors aside).

Relying on the Pit members to catch errors-- thanks. If you find any others, take a screen shot and include as a picture.

We intend on converting the sheets to a java calc so it is always up-to-date. Bug fixes appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Shane Rakow ^

• Shane Rakow
        Shane Rakow commented
        Editing a comment
        My comment was too long, so it is a new post, below.

Thanks for the reply Docblonder! When I use the calculator, I don't receive a pull-down menu when selecting input areas to edit. For instance, when changing the Meat Thickness value at location C8, I must highlight the word Flat, erase it, then type in the word Cylinder to activate a change in total recipe amounts. These new amounts I have gotten are much, much closer to what I am using in Meathead's Wet-Cure Ham recipe.

Again, I appreciate your reply, and your efforts on this great new tool!

Here is a Screenshot of what I am looking at on my side.

Shane

Comment

• Shane Rakow
        Shane Rakow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Huskee for passing along my questions to Docblonder!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        My pleasure

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	4531
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	233258

Ah, Meathead was supposed to lock all the cells, so this couldn't happen. Try downloading again. When you click on the flat/cylinder cell a pull down menus should appear, like this:

Comment

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        It may be an Excel version issue. My 2003 version does not offer the drop down, while my 2013 version has them.

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, my apologies for the erroneous statement I made in my earlier post about not halving the meat weight in the "standard" version. I didn't notice that the halving occurs in a different cell. Again, my apology.

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought I locked the cells, but perhaps I didn't do it right. We have a programmer working on a javascript version.

Well, it's still not quite Kosher, but I have made some enhancements of my own. Actually, I think I like this one just fine! Here is another screenshot. It looks like I'm going to be in the market for a walk-in cooler, a whole lot of distilled water, and a 5gal bucket of Prague powder. All in fun of course.

Comment

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        That is effin hysterical!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here