Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Try at Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Try at Bacon

I made MH's Simple Bacon Recipe. It was in the brine/cure for 10 days. Smoked it today. It took quite a bit longer to hit temp (I pulled it at 165°F). The belly slab was not the best, but it was about 4.5 lbs after taking the skin off. I sliced all 4 ends off and ate them. Based on the slab, they were mostly fat. They were delicious though. It's in the fridge now chilling. Here's a few pix:

Before smoking:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161013_131032-01.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	230007

Name:	IMG_20161013_131058-01.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	230008

After smoking:

Name:	IMG_20161013_174338-01.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	230009

Name:	IMG_20161013_174326-01.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	230010 ​​​​​​

Looks good!

Comment

Man, Dewesq55 that's beautiful!!! Got me droolin' now!

Reckon ya' oughtta have plenty of bacon grease for cookin' with, now!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 13, 2016, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Dewesq55 and Mr. Bones that has me ready to run down to costco and grab a pork belly, darn it.

Comment

Just finished my first batch last week...loved it! Already have batch #2 in progress and the time can't pass fast enough. All 3 recipes are in the works!

I've seen a couple of other recipes that do not use Prague Powder but only salt. Anyone know the criticality of the Prague? Had a local chef tell me he's seen people use salt alone.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Prague Powder impacts color and flavor. You COULD do it without PP, but make darn sure you know the amounts of salt to use and they are correct.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I've made about a dozen or more. Have never used Prague powder. No loss, as ecowper said, get the right proportion of salt. You lose the color, but I certainly don't care.

Ditto, ecowper !!!! Maybe a few!!!

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Cause let's be honest .... one pork belly only lasts a couple weeks around my house

Dewesq55 I am drooling big time! Awesome.

Comment

Very nice! I smoked my first 8 pound batch last weekend. It was very good. The Costco I got it from had it already trimmed. Skin off and rough edges cut off for $2.49 a pound. It went straight in the cure for 9 days. I think next batch I'm going to add a smoke tube to try and amp it up a bit.

Comment

So, it is very good, but I would lije the next attempt to be less sweet (the sugar in the rim burns too easily) and, believe it or not, I would luke it saltier. Does anybody have any recommendations on either. I know, reduce the sugar and increase the salt, but I'm looking for specific suggestions. Also, I am wondering if leaving it in the brine longer will increase the saltiness?

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe try out some of the bacons in Michael Riehlman's "Charcuterie"? The Maple didn't strike me as too sweet, but they have a couple of "savory" kinds as well, including pancetta. IME, the saltiness tends to depend on the length of the cure.

• W.A.
                W.A. commented
                Editing a comment
                I do the brine wihout any sugar. Comes out great and doesnt burn like the simple recipe or other recipe bacons. my opinion is you really dont need the sugar. It can be added while cooking if you like

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                Just don't rinse it (if you do) when removing from the brine. Just pat it dry. That will make a saltier product.

Dewesq55 I found that Meathead's maple syrup recipe was much better, for my taste, than the simple bacon recipe. Less sugar, less issues with burning, much preferred the combo of hickory smoke and maple. However, like you, I want more salt. Next batch I make will be that recipe, but I plan to increase my kosher salt some and leave in the brine a couple more days.

Comment

Thanks for the response, ecowper

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here