Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First pulled pork results so-so (high altitude)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First pulled pork results so-so (high altitude)

Wanted to start out with a question - when you're measuring the internal temp of a pork butt, what do you end up measuring? My first try at "Perfect Pulled Pork" following the techniques from here the temp just wouldn't push past what I later recalled is the local boiling point of water (we're at 8000 in north central New Mexico). I waited a long time, and ended up with somewhat dry meat. Not saying it wasn't good, but "Perfect", not nearly. I'm assuming I'll have to play some tricks to get better results - covering the meat part of the time to reduce evaporation in the thin dry air will probably be my first adjustment. Any suggestions from the experts here? And to the original question, will in fact 203 be an achievable temperature or am I pretty much measuring the remaining water content in the meat so it won't go that high here?

I wouldn't pay too much attention to temp once it gets above 195°-200°. Butts will vary - really just need to see how each one feels. Does it want to fall apart? Does the bone (if bone in) pull cleanly/easily out?

As far as altitude - I don't think that has any impact on what is happening inside the hunk of meat. The temperature is melting the collagen which is what loosens up the meat/muscle fibers. I don't think there is any real correlation with the boiling point of water. Of course, I could be wrong - I am just 9 feet above sea level so what do I know about cooking at high altitudes?

Comment

I've never really cooked at high altitude (highest I've ever lived is 1000 feet, or so). That said, worry less about the meat's internal temp and more the feel, like Histrix said. The boiling temp of water, according to my quick google search, at 7500 feet is 198. Even if this is impacting your meat's internal temp, it's not really a big deal. I never have a pork butt get to 203. Rarely do I have one get to 200. Usually I'm probe tender and bone wiggling at 195-198.

Once that butt is over 190, start checking the bone for wiggle. Also, your thermometer probe should slide in like a knife into soft butter. Or you can do a fork twist test .... should twist with little resistance. Once you get to a good bone wiggle, probe tender, fork twisting condition .... it's done, regardless of the internal temp.

Comment

mats, I do a lot of grilling at high altitude in the summer around 8500' don't see much difference in cooking there or about at sea level where I am in the winter. I also don't normally get over 200* before pulled pork or pulled beef is ready I even had one that pulled easy at 192* & I always let them rest raped in foil & towels in the cooler for 2 hrs. or more before pulling.
        Dave

Comment

Thanks guys. Meathead's book leaves it sounding like 203 is nirvana; I'm instead hearing I should know my meat and when it behaves like it's done, it's done. Still worried about the drying out.

Comment

I usually take the temps quickly with my Thermapen. Then if they average 202 F or it probe tender then I take it off the smoker. But probe tender is the most important because every piece of meat is different. What is considered "done" with onet shoulder is not neccasaily "done" on another with respect to internal temperature. Most of the time it is pretty close to being probe tender at 202 F but that is no Certainty.

You can wrap the shoulder and that will help with moisture conservation, but there is a trade off, you lose your crusty bark. I avoid wrapping until I have too. But I do wrap. Although on the KBQ, not so much.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here